Chapter 6- The Intruder

Începe de la început

My heart jumps at the thought of this. We might finally have something on our case! I zone back in and listen intently to Jackson's words.

"First of all the mans name is Joshua Lane. He told me that the man who sent him does work for Damien, but he didn't know where Damien is located. I guess he only communicates through dark phones, so no one can track his location." Jackson informs us and I jump for joy.

This means that Damien is coming after us, which doesn't sound good, but if he's out there near us it makes it easier to find him.

"So," Michael talks and we all turn to him, "what was his reason for coming here?"

"Well, that's the not so good part." He pauses and we all wait in anticipation. "He came for Ryan."

My heart drops into my stomach, my smile falls and I feel like I'm going to vomit. Why does he want me? Me eyes meet Braiden's green ones, which are filled with fury.

"That can't happen!" Braiden growls angrily.

"Well, this actually might not be that bad." Jackson says, making my eyes go wide.

"Not that bad? The biggest enemy we have wants me and you say it's "not that bad."?" I screech out still awestruck.

"Look, think of it this way. If Damien wants you that badly then he's going to be close at all times. Ryan, we can use you as bait to lure him to us then catch him that way." Jackson suggests, making people nod their heads.

"Are you crazy she can't do that!" Braiden shouts and I'm flattered he wants to protect me.

"Look, I'm the boss, I decide what she does." Jackson yells back to Braiden and I swear I see smoke coming out of his ears.

"You might be new at this whole leader thing, Jackson, but that gives you no right to push her around. Simon, our last leader, was definitely more intelligent." Braiden spits making Jackson's face turn red, but I can't tell if it's from embarrassment or anger.

Simon used to be our old leader. He was very quiet, but super nice when he did talk and extremely intelligent. One night he went out on a mission then never came back. Some say he was tortured to death, others say it was quick. None of us really know for sure.

"Guys, I'll do it." I pipe in, making them all fall silent.

"What?" Braiden asks, looking slightly hurt.

"I have to. It's not about me, it's about catching Damien and that's what we're going to do." I confirm locking eyes with everyone in the room, making sure they know my decision is final.

Jackson nods his head and then dismisses us. I leave the room ignoring the nervousness I'm feeling right now. What did I just get myself into? A hand on my shoulder makes me stop.

"What are you thinking!" Braiden shouts and spins me around.

"I was thinking that I should do my job!" I yell back, angered by how controlling he's being.

"Do you even know what you just agreed to? You're basically going to give yourself to Damien." He states.

"Yeah, like I don't know that? Do you actually think I want to do this? I don't want to, Braiden, I have to." I softly tell him and he walks over to me.

Without any words he walks over backing me up into the wall. His arms form a cage around me making us so close that our chests touch. Immediately my heart races, butterflies erupt through my stomach and electricity shoots through me. Does this boy know the effect he has on me?

Slowly I look up to meet his eyes. When I do I'm instantly captivated by them.

"Ryan," he says in a husky voice, "I'll be by your side through it all, no matter what. I promise." He whispers making my heart swell.

Without thinking my arms go around his neck then he places his around my waist. I squeeze him with all my might. Nobody's ever been this protective of me in my whole life.

"Thank you." I mumble into his shoulder.

"Anytime." He responds.

I stand on my tiptoes and give him a quick kiss on the cheek then walk away. My whole body feels likes it's on fire and I can still feel the heat from where his touch was. I've got it bad for Braiden Winters.

I bump into someone on the way to my room, which makes me stumble backwards.

"Ryan, just the person I was looking for." Jackson states.

"Oh okay, what did you need?" I inquire.

What does he need now?

"I just wanted to give you the details of when you'll be starting you're assignment. It will be next week Monday which gives you five days to prepare." He explains thoroughly.

"Okay, thanks." I gulp nervously.

This is going to absolutely suck.

"Oh, by the way, you and Braiden will be staying in a safe house together to make sure that no-one follows you here. We don't want to give our location away." He adds, making me practically scream.

Braiden and I are staying in a house together? That is going to be so awkward! How I am supposed to function with him by my side all the time? Part of me is ecstatic that he's going to be staying with me, the other half, not so much.

"I said is that understood." Jackson shouts and I snap back to reality.

"Ah, yes sir." I'm not even sure what he said, but what are ya gonna do.

What am I even supposed to wear to school?

"Wait," I call after him, "what am supposed to wear?"

"That's what I just explained, you can leave the compound today and go shopping. Bring someone with you." He orders.

I nod my head, then walk away, making my way to Michael's room. Lightly, I knock on his door and then head inside.

"Hey Mike, whatcha doing?" I ask, jumping onto his bed.

"Nothing much, just looking at Tumblr." He replies, completely engrossed in whatever he's reading.

"Oh." I huff, wanting him to pay more attention to what I'm saying.

"Is there something you want to ask me?" He draws out and I fidget in my seat.

"Well, do you want to be my girlfriend for the day?" I suggest and he looks at me confused.

"What? Why?"

"Um, I start school on Monday and need some clothes so I thought you could help me find some." I answer excitedly.

"I thought that was a one time thing." He whines and I grin.

"Nope. You were the one who started it anyways. Please come." I plead to him.

"Ugh, fine." He puffs and I squeal.

"Thank you!" I give him a quick hug then get up. "I'm going to go grab my purse. Meet me outside." I tell him, then rush to my room.

This is going to be interesting.