Eternal || Chapter Twenty-Six

With their weapons raised, the Argents backed the shifted werewolves, waiting in suspense for Peter to show himself.  Annie shifted uneasily on her bare feet, preparing herself to launch at Peter and take him down.  She felt a surge of power course through her body, and suddenly she wanted to make Peter pay for everything he had done.  For the killings, for every single life he had impacted.

          A black mass flew out of the front door and down the steps of the porch.  As soon as he appeared, he was gone.  Peter taunted the group, flying in and out of shadows and making the Argents and wolves whip their heads and weapons around in confused circles.

          Chris was suddenly thrown to the ground with a growl.  Annie didn't hesitate before running towards Chris.  Her red eyes were wild as she searched for Peter, but as quickly as he made his way to Chris, he crossed the clearing to Allison and knocked her to the ground as well.  Seconds later, Scott was on the ground, and soon enough, Annie was on her back and Kate was the only one standing.

          "Come on!" Kate yelled, angrily whipping around with her gun held straight in front of her. "Come on!"

          She turned around again and Peter (who had shifted back into his human form) grabbed her wrist.  A gunshot echoed through the trees as Kate grunted in pain.  Peter's grip tightened and he twisted her arm backward.  Another gunshot was fired, and Peter suddenly brought his other hand down on Kate's elbow, breaking her arm.

          Peter's face held no emotion as he grabbed Kate's throat, closely examining her before throwing her onto the porch of the Hale house.  He quickly crossed the clearing to the house and grabbed her by the throat again, dragging her inside.

          "No!" Allison shouted, quickly standing up and running into the house.  Scott went to follow her, but Annie reached out and stopped him, her sudden urge to keep Scott safe from Peter stronger than her anger and desire to stop Peter.

          "Scott, this is between them.  He won't hurt her, she's not responsible for the fire." Annie rushed, meeting Scott's eyes.  They were back to that gorgeous chocolate brown that the McCall siblings shared.  Annie forced hers to shift back to her own normal hazel green as she stared at Scott. "Allison won't get hurt."

          Scott went to respond but suddenly there was a sickening splatter against a window inside the house, followed by a thump on the decaying wooden floor.  Chris, Scott, and Annie looked towards the rotting building in fear and disbelief.

          This time, Scott leaped from the ground and out of Annie's reach, taking off towards the home.  Annie cursed and followed him, her claws growing again and her eyes becoming that bright, blood-red color that only an alpha werewolf could have.

          Annie and Scott burst into the home, fully shifted and flanking Allison on either side, advancing on Peter with low, animalistic snarls.  Annie's eyes found Kate on the floor, lacking a heartbeat and fatal scratches across her neck.  Suddenly, she wanted to make Peter pay.  She didn't like Kate, not even a little bit, but she, as well as the people that Peter had already killed, didn't deserve that.

          A floorboard creaked on the back side of the room, and four pairs of eyes swept across the room to the source.  Derek stepped out of the shadows, fully shifted and his blue eyes glowing brighter than Annie had ever seen them.

          "Run," Scott lowly told Allison.  She didn't hesitate before turning and running behind the wall that separated the living area and the foyer.  Annie suddenly felt the need to follow her, make sure she was going to be fine.

          Scott and Derek were suddenly engaging in a deadly fight with Peter.  The beta wolves were being thrown around, but to Annie's relief, they were getting right back up and throwing punch after punch to Peter.  Annie slipped out of the room and out the front door, silently descending the stairs and making her way to Allison.