Eternal || Chapter Nine

The next night, Annie and Kat had decided to follow the police enforced curfew and stay in.  They sat curled up under a mound of blankets on Kat's bed, a movie playing on her laptop and a bowl of popcorn sitting between them.  Kat, once again, found her mind wandering and unable to focus.  She had to talk to someone about what she was, whatever that may be. "Annie, I know you saw my eyes."

          Annie didn't try to avoid it, "Do Scott and Stiles know?"

          "Stiles yes, Scott no."

          The blonde nodded as her lips pursed, "Is it just your eyes or is there anything else?"

          "I can hear and smell things that I shouldn't be able to, like Melissa's keys locking the front door right now and which pieces of popcorn are too burnt to be eaten." She wracked her brain for anything else that was abnormal since she had arrived in Beacon Hills. "I also get visions and dreams.  They don't ever feel like dreams though, I always feel like it's happened before but it obviously never has."

          Kat couldn't stop herself from answering; it felt amazing to finally talk about this.  She knew that Stiles would have been all for helping her, but he had his hands full with Scott.  Annie was the only one that she could really talk to for help.

          "Do you know what you are?" Annie asked, tearing her eyes from the actors on the small screen and looking to her best friend.

          "No," Kat said, her voice quiet.  To a human, it would have been inaudible. "I was kind of hoping you did."

          Annie sighed and freed one of her arms from the blankets to click out of the movie.  The audio continued in the background as she opened the browser and typed in "glowing green eyes."

          "We've got to do some research then, because I don't know anything about what your eyes could mean." Annie scrolled through the first page of results, clicking on one from a well known and accurate supernatural research website (it was one of her jobs in the pack to keep an eye on websites like those to know what the humans knew). "All I know is that your kind might be very rare and important.  My dad was looking for a replacement for our pack before -- "

          Annie cut herself off, knowing she shouldn't have.  But she couldn't bring herself to tell Kat what actually happened to her pack and why her eyes were now red and not yellow.

          "Before what?" Kat asked, her eyes scanning the page.  Her eyes caught the word "werejaguar."  She pointed to the screen, "Do you know what that is?"

          Annie quietly read the passage, ""The glowing of the eyes is a natural occurrence for the supernatural.  Their eyes indicate what they are before anything else.  Different colors stand for different types of beings.  Yellow, blue, and red are most commonly known to represent werewolves.  Green can occur in a different type of "were" being, a werejaguar."  I've never even heard of a werejaguar. Then again, I thought the blue eyes were a myth."

          She clicked on the werejaguar link, and the girls skimmed through the article.  As soon as she read that their eyes were a deep jade green, she closed the page. "We'll continue researching, Kitty Kat.  I'll help you find out what you are."

          Kat smiled and laid her head on Annie's shoulder as they continued to search for anything on what Kat might be.  Their eyes started drooping, becoming heavy with the weight of exhaustion.

          "Girls, Scott, I'm gonna go to -- " Kat heard Melissa sigh as she checked Scott's room.  He wasn't home yet, he was still out with Allison. " -- sleep."