Eternal || Chapter Eighteen

Kat watched the lacrosse team practice, her pen tapping impatiently on the clipboard in her hand.  She tried to tune out as much of Scott's and Stiles's words as she could, as well as Lydia's.  She was itching to call Annie and set up a girl's night to let out her feelings over a gallon of ice cream and tell her best friend that she was right about it all, but couldn't actually bring herself to pull her phone out of her bag and dial Annie's number.

          Her eyes watched as each player scooped a ball into their net and ran towards the goal, trying to perfect the play of avoiding the opposing teammates and scoring a goal.  Kat jotted down a quick note on her sheet when Stiles's voice floated towards her.

          "Scott, you okay, dude?" He asked, and Kat couldn't help but watch her brother and his best friend.  Stiles straightened out his helmet as he continued, "Look, I know we just got good news and all, but there's still seven hours till the full moon, okay?"

          "Let's go!" Coach Finstock yelled at Scott, and he immediately started the drill.  He scooped a ball into his net and went to avoid the opposing team, but both of them body chucked him to the ground with their wide shoulders.  Kat winced as Coach started laughing.  He leaned over Scott, "Guess some people don't appreciate your new status there, McCall."

          Kat kept her eyes on Scott as Coach blew his whistle and called for Stiles to start the drill.  Scott jumped to his feet and glared at the opposing teammates as he bent down and furiously grabbed his lacrosse stick from the ground.

          "You have a problem with that, Bilinski?" Coach asked Stiles.

          "What?  Yeah, no." Stiles verbally spazzed, prepping himself for the drill.

          "All right, you're up, big boy.  Let's go!" Coach said, and just as Stiles started moving to scoop a ball into his net.  Scott let out a low growl and harshly stopped Stiles by pushing his lacrosse stick into his chest. "That's it, McCall!  That's the spirit!  You earn it!  Earn it, McCall!"

          Kat felt her eyes shift to their alternate mint green as Scott took off towards the goal, slamming the opposing teammates to the ground with his shoulders.  Kat tensed as he came up to Danny, the team's best defensive goalie, doing the same to him and slamming him out of the goal and shooting the ball.

          "Danny!" Kat shouted, dropping her clipboard to the ground and running towards the goalie.  She reached him just before the rest of the team did and she turned him onto his back as gently as she could as Jackson fell on his other side.  Blood was quickly falling from his nose.

          "McCall, what the hell is your brother doing?" Jackson hissed as a paramedic shooed him away from Danny.  Kat looked lost for words and all she could do was shrug and shake her head.

          "Is he okay?" Lydia asked as she pushed her way through the lacrosse team to stand beside Jackson.

          Jackson sighed, "It looks like he just has a bloody nose," Jackson said, looking down to his girlfriend.  His eyebrows furrowed before a slightly hurt expression flashed across his features.

          "What?"

          "Your lipstick."

          Kat glanced up and watched as Lydia pulled out her compact to check her lipstick.  It was smeared above her lip, almost as if she had it smushed against her face. "Oh," She tried to pass it off as she fixed it, "Wonder how that happened."

          "Yeah." Jackson harshly said. "I wonder."

          Kat immediately put the pieces together.  Scott and Lydia had a more than friendly encounter in Coach's office. "Oh, Stiles," Kat whispered, catching his eyes from across the circle.  Even though she was upset that her childhood best friend was the object of his affection, she wouldn't have wished that on him.  No one deserved to be betrayed by their best friend like that.