Eternal || Chapter Ten

Without another word, the three teens piled into Stiles's blue jeep and started out of the parking lot.  Kat looked up and saw Derek stumbling out into the lot, "Stiles, stop!"

          The tires screeched as he abruptly stopped the jeep, causing Annie to slam into Kat's seat from the impact.  Horns started honking behind them, and Kat warily watched as Derek held a hand out, as if it would stop the jeep if it had still been rolling.  Annie was already pushing Kat out the door as Derek fell to the ground in a heap.

          Annie dropped to the ground beside the weakened werewolf, "Derek, what the hell are you doing here?  Are you okay?"

          Scott joined the girls beside Derek as he answered Annie, "I was shot."

          "He's not looking so good." Stiles stated, glancing around the parking lot.

          "Why aren't you healing?" Kat asked, looking over his pale face as if it would give the answer.

          "I can't.  It was -- it was a different kind of bullet."

          "A silver bullet?" Stiles interrupted, eagerness covering his worry.

          "No, you idiot." Derek sneered, somehow still able to look threatening when he should have been on his deathbed.

          "Wait, wait," said Scott, "That's what she meant when she said you had forty eight hours."

          "What?" Derek asked, his breathing becoming shallower by the minute. "Who -- who said forty eight hours?"

          "The one who shot you," Annie answered, her face becoming solemn.  Derek suddenly groaned and threw his head back.  He looked back to the teenagers, his eyes now glowing bright blue.  Annie felt her heart flutter, she had never seen blue werewolf eyes.  It was certainly something new.

          Scott gasped, "What are you doing?  Stop that!"

          "I'm trying to tell you, I can't!" Derek growled, his voice growing deeper and raspier.

          The cars honking suddenly became louder, the students of Beacon Hills High School becoming irrationally impatient. "Derek, get up!" Kat hissed, grabbing his arm and trying to pull him up.  Scott jumped to his feet and slid his arms under Derek's to hoist him up.

          "I'm gonna put him in your car," Scott told Stiles.  Annie and Kat quickly hopped into the backseat before Scott dropped Derek into the passenger side.

          "I need you to find out what kind of bullet they used," Derek panted, the knuckles on his left hand turning snow white as he held his right arm.

          "How the hell am I supposed to do that?"

          "'Cause she's an Argent.  She's with them."

          "Why should I help you?"

          "Because you need me."

          Annie pulled herself forward, "Fine, he'll try, alright Derek?  Scott, go, we'll get him out of here."

          Stiles grumbled, "I hate you all so much for this." He put the jeep in drive and stomped on the gas pedal, throwing them out of the parking lot and onto the streets.  He smacked on the radio to drown out Derek's groans of pain.

          "What are we gonna do with him?" Kat asked, keeping a hold of Stiles's seat as he twisted them through the streets of Beacon Hills.  They had been driving for fifteen minutes, going up and down side streets as they waited for Scott to get the bullet.