Eternal || Prologue

Katarina McCall made the decision to move back in with her half brother and his mother when her father, Rafael McCall, left for a job for two weeks without telling or calling her during that time.  For two weeks, it was her and her black German Shepherd Kota, and the occasional friend over after school, with no news from Rafael.

          It wasn't the first time she'd shown up on someone's doorstep completely unannounced.  Though, the first time it happened, she was merely one week old.  Her birth mother, the woman Rafael had a drunken affair with while away on a job, had tracked him down, knocked on the door and left Katarina in his arms with a baby bag, her family ring, and Katarina's name.  Imagine how his nine months pregnant wife reacted when he returned to the living room holding a baby girl.

          It was strange for Katarina, standing on the porch of Melissa's and Scott's home with her dog, debating whether or not she should knock and disrupt them at eleven o'clock on a Friday night.  Kota sat at the top of the stairs, watching her as she paced back and forth, suddenly aware of what she was doing and that she had left Rafael in San Francisco with only a note telling him she was going back to Melissa's.  Melissa still had part custody over Kat - a year back the court of California had decided that she was mature enough to decide where she lived, given that she was granted one move on her own choice until she was eighteen.  But after the child negligence and abandonment that Rafael committed, that one move was to be with Scott and Melissa.

          Taking a deep breath, Kat picked up Kota's leash and turned back to the door.  She raised a hand to knock on the door, loudly knocking three times before stepping back and putting on a brave face.  "Would Melissa even take me in?  She could easily slam the door in my face and send me back to San Francisco with no second thoughts.  I'm not even her daughter, we have no biological relations, she doesn't have to take me."  Kat nervously thought, her hands shaking slightly.

          She instantly regretted driving all the way up here as soon as her hand lowered from the door.  She heard someone jog down the stairs right in front of the door, and shook her head at how she could still remember the layout of the Beacon Hills McCall home.  She hadn't been here since Scott's eleventh birthday, well over five years ago.

          The large door opened, and Kat was greeted with the tired face of Melissa McCall.  She rubbed her eyes before actually looking at teenage girl, and as soon as she recognized her, a large grin spread across the woman's face. "I was wondering when you'd come to your senses, Katarina." she joked, and stepped out onto the porch to wrap her arms around Kat.

          Rafael never hugged Kat, and the only people who ever did were Melissa, Scott, and her best friend Annie, whom she'd left in San Francisco with nothing more than a letter explaining where she was.  Melissa hadn't seen Kat for nearly six years, and she was still willing to welcome her with open arms.  Yet another reason Kat was sure of her choice to move to Beacon Hills.

          She sighed in relief and dropped Kota's leash as she returned the hug, beyond amazed that she didn't turn her away. "I did a long time ago, Melissa.  I just now got the courage to leave." Kat chuckled, burying her head in Melissa's neck as she attempted to stop the tears threatening to fall.

          Kat smiled, knowing that even without asking, she was going to let her live under her roof.  They always had an unspoken agreement that if she didn't want to live with Rafael, for any reason, then Melissa would gladly take her in, at least for a little while.  Even if she was required by law to do so, Melissa wouldn't have turned her away if she wasn't.

          "Mom, who's at the door?" a voice called, and Kat only recognized the owner of the voice when she looked up and saw Scott standing at the top of the stairs.  He'd changed so much since they were eleven; she wouldn't have known it was Scott if she didn't actually know him. "Kat?"