Eternal || Chapter Fourteen

Annie gripped Kat's arm and pulled her inside the school, shutting the door behind her and pulling on the bar as if it would stop the alpha from opening the door if he wanted to.  All four of the teens were ducked under the windows of the door as Scott shouted to Stiles, "Lock it, lock it!"

          "Do I look like I have a key?" Stiles spat.

          "Grab something," Annie directed, surprisingly calm compared to the other teens.

          "What?" Stiles angrily asked.

          "Anything!" Kat shouted, and suddenly Stiles had an idea.  He stood up, peering through the window.  She stood up as well, looking for what he wanted to grab.  Bolt cutters were lying in the grass and she knew exactly what he was thinking. "No, Stiles, you're not going out there."

          "Yes." He simply said, pushing the flashlight into her hands and opening the door.

          "Stiles, no, don't!" She said, watching as he slipped out of the door.  She tried to go after him but Annie caught her arms and held her inside.  Kat's heart pounded in her ears as she watched through the window.  Stiles quickly and quietly descended the steps to where the bolt cutters were.

          She heard a low growl and averted her eyes to Roscoe, where the alpha was leaned out around it.  He was crouched down on all fours, and even then he was half the height of the jeep.

          "Come back, come back!" Scott shouted, pounding on the door.  Kat and Annie joined in, calling Stiles's name and hitting the door.  The Stilinski boy slowly turned to his friends before looking towards his jeep.  Kat heard his heartbeat leap when he made eye contact with the alpha.

          The alpha started running towards Stiles.  He kept his grip on the bolt cutters and sprinted back to the doors.  Scott opened them and Kat pulled Stiles into the school before Annie took the bolt cutters from his hands and placing them over the bars on the door.  The teens tried to catch their breath as they peered through the windows.  The alpha was nowhere to be found.

          "Where is it?" Kat asked, the fear she felt in her head dropping to her stomach.  Stiles took the flashlight from her and shone it through the two small windows as she threw out another question, "Where'd it go?"

          Slowly, the four teens backed away from the door.  Annie gripped Kat's hand, the familiar feeling of terror rising in her stomach.  Flashbacks of what happened in San Francisco played behind her eyes and she tried her hardest to blink them away.

          "That won't hold, will it?" Scott asked.

          "Probably not," Stiles confirmed.

          "Great," Kat sighed, returning the deadly grip Annie had on her hand.  A distant howl sounded on the other side of the school.  The teens' heads whipped around to look down the hall behind them before Annie pulled them into a nearby open classroom.

          "The desk," Scott demanded, and he and Stiles quickly jumped around it to push it against the door.

          Kat stopped them, "Shh, stop, stop." Her voice was urgent as she continued in a whispered tone, "The door's not gonna keep it out."

          "I know," Scott said.

          "I hate your boss." Stiles quickly interjected.

          "What?" Scott asked, confused by his best friend's words.

          "Deaton, the alpha?  Your boss." Stiles pointed to Scott accusingly.