Sickness

You don't have to play the song if you don't want to. It is just the new theme song for this story. ^u^

Nick's POV

I spun around in fear. The void surrounded me on all sides, endless and dark. I tried to run, but an invisible barrier stopped me.

I placed my hands on the wall and tried to push past it, but to no avail. I snarled in anger and banged my fist on the surface. Backing up, I shook in fear as a gust of cold wind blew past my face.

I slowly turned in a circle, trying to see anything that could help me. But there was only darkness.

There was a slight glow in the distance, a green, watery light that seemed to beckon me over the dark horizon.

I suddenly started walking towards the light, almost unbidden. In the matter of seconds, I was surrounded by floating, green rectangles, ranging from as small as an acorn to about the size of my hand.

I felt my uneasiness swell, and I broke out in a cold sweat. Leaning closer to one of the green boxes, I saw a dark figure standing inside it. It was male.

He turned slowly towards me. I squinted, trying to see his face. And I gasped. I knew that mask.

It was Tommy. But with bleach blonde hair, and his mouth in a solemn, fearful line.

I backed up, breath rasping in my throat. Another light from behind made me turn. It was another green box. A nearly unrecognizable Ashlie sat in it, floating over a bed. She had glowing golden eyes, pale gray skin, yellow teeth, and she wore a gray beanie. Next to her was a boy wearing a floppy jester hat. He had a brown leather muzzle around his mouth. A somber expression was plastered on both of their faces. As I watched, they slowly faded away, and were replaced with a girl wearing a gray tank top. She smiled menacingly and lifted up a blood-covered knife. Her brown hair was stained red.

I put my hand over my mouth as I felt bile rise in my throat, making me gag. I felt my head swim, making me disoriented and dizzy.

The vast expanse around me loomed threateningly, mocking my mortality.

This wasn't the abyss that I had started in.

This place was empty of life. Of compassion. Of feeling. It was a machine. And I was trapped.

The silence was so complete.... it was deafening. I brought my hands up to my head and covered my ears. But the lack of noise still found me. It wormed its way into my brain, driving out any sensible thoughts and filling me with a crippling anxiety.

I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to block it out.

And what I saw in my mind's eye made me shake in terror. I opened my mouth, and suddenly, the silence was gone.

Ashlie's POV

Sleeping was hard for me recently. All the worries of the daylight hours transferred into restless nights and fleeting nightmares.

I called it borderline. I was aware of sounds and feeling, but my brain was nearly asleep, my eyes closed and thoughts foggy.

So I was on the borderline of waking when Nick screamed. I leapt off the floor and rushed to his bedside in an instant.

Uni was close behind, running in from his room that he shared with Tommy across the hall. He must have not been sleeping either. Tommy was still passed out, unaware of what was happening. It was dark outside, the moonlight shining through the window.

In the faint light, I could see Nick's face, contorted into a scream of pain. He shook violently, twitching back and forth restlessly. I put a hand on his pale, sweat-soaked forehead, and jerked it back in shock. He was burning up.