Fight or Flight: Part 1

Nick's POV

I snarled at the two people in front of us, feeling a rage bubble up from my very core. My hands got hot, glowing a soft orange color.

Ashlie looked the same. From this angle, I could see past her glasses, watching her eyes, which were wide with fury. Her hair stood on end, and a few loose strands waved freely, even though there was no wind. The thunder crackled overhead, a reminder of the looming storm, but not in the way everyone expected.

The two boys in front of us were going to pay. They had stolen from us, and then had insulted Ashlie when they thought we weren't listening.

Both boys had strange features. One of them had pale skin with black and electric blue patches of metal, and he was wearing blue headphones and had black hair. He wore a black cloak over a black shirt, which had blue lines and dots, almost like buttons. His hands were the same color as his face. He looked a little like a robot.

The other boy was harder to make out, because he kept the hood of a light gray sweatshirt low over his face, only revealing a couple bangs of dirty blonde hair poking out. His hands were covered by two brown gloves.

Ashlie tensed as the boy with the blue face leaned over to whisper in the cloaked one's ear. I touched her hand, letting her know to get ready to fight. Blue boy pulled away, and he narrowed his eyes at us. I growled, low in my throat like a wild animal. I felt a fight rising in my blood, and summoned a tiny spark of flame around my palm.

Suddenly, without any warning, the blue boy disappeared into thin air, his body melting away, starting with the center of his chest, and then dissipating outward, at the exact same time that the cloaked one started running straight at us. We were shocked, but prepared. Ashlie opened her clenched fists, allowing her lightning to crackle around her hand freely. In a split second, she was behind them, looking at me with a finger on her lips. I heard a grunt of surprise from the air to my right. I jerked my eyes away and looked to deal with the cloaked one, who was still charging towards me.

I put my glowing fists up, ready for battle. The boy suddenly lifted off the ground, flying above me, using his legs and hands for balance. I recoiled in shock, and I heard a snicker from under the hood. Baring my teeth, I kept my fire contained, but poised to strike. He readied his hands, and suddenly charged. I dodged, keeping at range. Spinning around, he pulled up his sleeves, revealing a knife attached to his wrist. Flinging it into his grasp, I saw a smile form under his hood. I knew that I wouldn't stand a chance against him without using my power.

I opened my hands, letting the fire rage freely.

It swirled around me like a dragon, angry and vengeful. I watched as the boy who was flying suddenly stopped in midair, trying to avoid my flames. I smiled and whipped the fire towards him, aiming for his head. He ducked, so I followed that up with a fireball to the stomach. Dodging, he readied his weapon, about to charge again. I crouched down low, preparing myself for the attack, feeling the heat coil around my head like a halo. I pushed my glasses back up my nose.

He growled and charged, knife brandished. I waited for him to get close, and then thrust my hand upwards, creating a wall of fire between me and him. He backpedaled frantically, and maneuvered around it, singeing his cloak. He attacked from the side. I did the same thing, but this time he was prepared. Keeping his distance, he flew up and over my wall of fire, and threw his knife at my skull. I dodged, but it wasn't enough. The knife sunk into my hip, right where my burn mark was. I screamed and collapsed onto the ground, holding my side in pain. My head was pounding, blood staining my hands. I heard a yell of triumph from the boy, and Ashlie screeched in anger and fear.

The fire raged higher. With trembling hands, I yanked the weapon out, tossing it to the side, right into the flames. Blood gushed out of the wound with deadly force. I felt lightheaded and woozy, and I stumbled on my hands and knees. With a weak effort, I lifted my head to face the boy, who was framed by the fire, his sweatshirt waving in the heat. From this angle, I could see the lower part of his face from under his hood, revealing his smile, small and regretful.

I knew that I couldn't stop fighting. I couldn't let them beat us. I couldn't leave Ashlie alone. I screwed my eyes shut, concentrating with all my might.

The boy turned to leave, thinking the fight was done, but all that he found was a fiery wall. Flames licked the sides of the buildings, surrounding us on all sides. He tried to fly out, but a tentacle of fire blocked his escape, trapping him in.

With the last of my strength, fueled by the inferno raging around us, I stood up, clutching my side in pain, with my teeth bared. I kept my hands by my sides, fists clenched against the agony. He turned around frantically, making his hood shift a little.

"Dawn!!!" He screeched frantically, and I heard a scuffle coming from outside, over the roaring winds. But an electric crackle silenced it.

The wind from the fire started to spin around us, making my hair fly in every direction. An extremely strong gust pushed the boy's hood back, revealing his true face for the first time. It was metal and black, with one big, camera-like cyclops eye in the center, and a little red button in the corner, under his sandy blonde hair. He looked terrified.

Over the roaring of the flames, I kept my hands at my sides, bracing against the wind. Closing my eyes, I steadied my mind, ignoring the pain, ignoring the noise, ignoring everything except the beating of my own heartbeat. My fists unclenched, and I breathed deeply, smelling the ash in the air.

My eyes flickered open, calm and narrow. "You shouldn't have messed with us," I threatened, my voice seeming to drop an octave. I lifted my hand up.

His camera lens grew wide as he felt himself start to float. Without moving anything but my hand, I used my teklisines and forced him into the air. He tried to escape, flailing rapidly, but it was in vain. Then it was all over. With a flick of my head, I flung him into a wall, hearing a sick cracking sound as he hit. He didn't move, but I saw the slight rise and fall of his chest.

I trembled in place for a moment, my bloody hand still outstretched. The fire started to die down, smoldering ash filling the air. I heard someone scream, and saw a smoking blue and black blur shoot in front of me, rushing to the boy's side. My arm slowly came down to rest at my side.

The robot that Ashlie had been fighting wrapped his arm around his friend's, helping him stand. The camera boy looked like he was in pain, clutching his arm and his head. I felt Ashlie's presence behind me, backing me up. When he turned around to look at me one last time before the robot led him away, out of the alleyway, I spotted a small crack in his lens.  His eye showed no hint of anger or vengeance though. It was sad and regretful, and I could see a trace of respect there too. I had made an enemy, but in another life, maybe there was a friend here.

As they disappeared around the corner, lightning crackled overhead, and a light drizzle started, releasing the rain that had been looming all morning. In that instant, my eyes rolled back into my head, and I collapsed onto the ground, blood gushing from my hip.

Ashlie screamed and used her lightning quick reflexes to catch me as I fell, gently lowering me to the ground. I groaned, feeling her hands on mine, trying to staunch the blood flow. I opened my eyes weakly, looking at her face. Her sunglasses had fallen off, revealing her beautiful, strange eyes, which were wide with panic and tears. She pushed my glasses back up my nose gently.

The fire was being extinguished, leaving severe burn marks on the walls and floor.

I was starting to feel faint, and black spots danced in my vision. I'd lost too much blood.

"It's ok, Nick," Ashlie whispered. "You're going to be ok. I promise."

That was the last thing I heard before unconsciousness claimed me, rendering me helpless.