Chapter 12

The next few days passed quickly as I prepared to leave my home and move in with Noah at the Frost pack. I decided to talk to Mr Pangewick and see if I could tutor Kyle at their pack house instead of the library - I left out the fact that I'd practically be living with him.

My mother and father were very uncertain about letting me leave the place where I had grown up, but truthfully, it had never felt like home to me. I was disliked by many of the pack but this was my chance of starting again, and it was an opportunity to move on.

Now, it was Friday and I was making sure that all the things that I needed were packed and ready to be moved. I was just about to head down for dinner when there was a knock on my door and a familiar face came into view.

"Hi Laurel," I smiled and stood up, accepting her usual warm embrace. "Are you here to say goodbye?"

She gazed into my eyes and for a second it seemed as though her own emerald orbs were glowing.

"River. Please be careful. I see strange happenings in your future. The scent of betrayal lingers." My eyes widened but I felt doubt course through me.

"Have you seen what will happen?" I asked. Laurel nodded gravely.

"Your life will be turned upside down. Your happiness will turn to sadness. Your safety will turn to danger. Your friends will turn to enemies." She placed her tanned hands on my shoulders and shook me gently. "Prepare yourself child. I will look out for you."

I stood there, frozen, as the thoughts of everything changing for the worse overtook my mind. Laurel's scent faded as she drifted out of my room and left me alone. I didn't know what to think. I didn't know what to do.

I had been looking forward to leaving my old life behind, yet this new life may be worse if what Laurel said came true. I wanted freedom, and excitement but not like what she had proposed.

I sat down on my bed and took in my room gradually. The hairline cracks on the ceiling, the smudged fingerprints on the windows and the groans and creaks of the bed frame as I shifted my weight around.

Realising that this room had become my safe haven, a single tear slid down my pale cheek and dripped onto the sheets. I wanted to leave, but I didn't want the change that was inevitable.

I just wanted to be happy.

***

Saturday came around, and I was sitting in the living room with everyone that was here to say goodbye. Noah was due to arrive any minute, and I was growing increasingly impatient and fidgety.

My mother and father each held one of my hands, and all of the cardboard boxes were stacked at the main entrance. There really was nothing else to do except bid farewell to this pack and all the baggage that came with it.

"River," My mother began, her voice trembling. "This will always be your home. You can come back at any time, for any reason."

My father nodded and squeezed my hand tighter between his own. "Don't be a stranger, pup."

My eyes stung at the old nickname. He hadn't called me that in years, and it really hit me then that I was leaving. I just felt so conflicted!

I swallowed my tears back and looked up at their familiar faces. "I'll come back soon. I'll call whenever I can."

Just as I was about to give them both a hug, I felt a strong energy enter the room. Glancing at the door, I found it to be our Alpha, Benjamin.

He was a very mysterious man, well built and most would say very good looking. Tanned skin, chocolate hair and forest green eyes; he looked rather exotic. However, he had not found his Luna yet, and eventually that would take a toll on the whole pack. Even now, a motherly figure would create a huge change to this pack, and it would definitely be for the better.

Benjamin wasn't seen often around the pack house and he generally kept himself away from others. He was known to drown himself in pack work, although he spoke to my father a lot regarding the everyday problems. Despite that, I'd only seen him a handful of times, so him appearing today was a surprise.

"Alpha Benjamin." My father bowed his head slightly, as did the rest of us who were in the room. He smiled, but the smile didn't reach his empty eyes and his muscles seemed to be tense.

Benjamin cleared his throat, and his critical gaze turned to me. "I came to say goodbye to your daughter, Markus. It must be hard to see her go to another pack at such a young age."

My father nodded and placed his arm around my shoulder, giving it a reassuring squeeze. "I know she'll thrive in her new position, and she's not too far away."

Benjamin nodded and came to stand before me. He reached inside his blazer pocket and brought out a maroon box that had a golden tree placed in the center.

"This is for you." He said quietly, handing me the small box carefully. "I hope you will remember that these are your roots, and this is where you came from." Sweeping his stare around the room once more, his presence left the room, and I was left speechless, looking at the box that contrasted with my pale hands.

"Are you going to open it?" My mother was gazing at it in curiosity that she could barely disguise. Before I could answer that I would save it for when I arrived at the Frost pack, a loud knock echoed down the hallway opposite the room.

Noah had arrived.

A/N Hi guys, this is a shorter chapter but only because the next one will be quite long! Thanks for all the support so far :)

Vote and comment please!