Chapter 9

As I shifted and sprinted away, a melancholy howl tore through the trees and echoed in my ears. Without even realising, I whined quietly and kept running, not even knowing where I was headed. I just needed to escape the humiliation.

My heart pounded at abnormal speeds as my small frame zipped through the trees. I knew that if Noah chased after me there was no way he'd catch me. One advantage to being tiny; I was agile and very fast.

A shadow suddenly fell across my path and I skidded to a halt quickly. My mouth dropped in surprise and I shifted, pulling on the shirt that I had tied to my leg previously.

Before me, well above me, was a treehouse. It looked well maintained, and I assumed that it was used quite often. My wolf nudged at me to climb the tall rope ladder but I snapped at her. We couldn't just climb into somebody's treehouse without permission.

A good fifteen seconds later, and I was standing at the doorway to the little house, cursing my damn curiosity. There's just something about treehouses that is so appealing.

I cautiously tiptoed to the wooden door and peeked through the small window. It was dark inside, and it seemed as though nobody was in there. I closed my eyes, and told myself to go back before I got myself into some trouble.

I opened the door.

It creaked slightly, and I cringed, waiting for someone to yell out and push me out of the tree. Nothing came.

With a light step, I walked into the treehouse and closed the door softly, before casting my eyes on the place.

It was cosy and sweet. There were two leather sofas, a colourful rug and a radio that sat on the coffee table. There was another wooden door just behind the sofas, so I looked inside and found a bed with cushions drowning the sheets.

Someone could easily just stay here, or even take the objects that were in here, but it was hidden from view. I don't even remember how I found this place, so I was probably running pretty wildly.

"I see you found my man cave." I whipped around and got ready to hit someone hard, earning a chuckle from the speaker.

It was Kyle.

I scratched the back of my neck awkwardly and felt my cheeks flush.

"Uh, I'm sorry, I was just upset and I was running to nowhere really and found this. I promise I didn't mean to come in here, I just sort of did and-"

"River," Kyle chuckled and flicked my forehead. "It's fine."

He pulled me away from the little bedroom and sat me down on one of the sofas. Then, he went to a mini fridge that I hadn't seen before and tossed me a soda. I grabbed it and gulped a few mouthfuls of the sweet liquid down my unusually sore throat.

"Now, why don't you tell me why you ended up in my den?" His eyes searched my face as he sat down, and I sighed, feeling my heart twist in pain as I thought of the recent events.

"Do you know...that your brother is my mate?" A look of surprise graced his features, as well as another emotion that I couldn't grasp before it flickered away.

"My brother is your mate?! So that's why he was so out of it this morning." I nodded and bit my thumbnail cautiously, a very bad habit of mine.

I sighed and told him everything that has happened, from when I first caught Noah's scent to when I found myself in this supposed man cave. Kyle listened carefully, and when I was finished, pulled me into a warm hug.

"Oh River, he'd be stupid to reject you." He swallowed and glanced at my face before taking my hand gently. "You're beautiful, no matter what your size is or how your wolf was formed."

A blush rose up my face and I looked out of the treehouse door to try and hide it, only to see a shadow. Squinting, I tried to make it out but then it disappeared. Kyle stilled for a second and then smiled gently.

"Noah's here. Just listen to him, okay? I won't be too far away incase something does go wrong." I nodded and felt my heart begin to race as the scent began to flow up my nostrils.

He stood up and stretched, grinning as the door opened. A face that I don't think I could ever get used to peered around the corner and met my watery eyes instantly. I flickered my eyes to my feet.

"Be nice, bro. See you later River." A shutting of the door marked Kyle's departure and I glanced at the strange yet familiar man approaching me. His eyes, his intense grey eyes burned into my insides, making me squirm internally. As he took a seat beside me, I couldn't help but shift my body to turn towards him. There was no denying the attraction that there was between us.

It was silent for at least a minute, as we just sat there, not knowing really what to say. Finally, he cleared his throat.

"You didn't have to run away, River." His eyes met mine and glowed slightly, but his words were soft, something I wasn't expecting.

"It's just what I'm used to." My voice trembled and I cursed myself inwardly. His hand brushed mine and my breath hitched as the sparks tingled down my arm.

"I think you're gorgeous," Noah mumbled, but his eyes still remained on mine, never looking away. "I don't think it matters what size you are, at least it doesn't to me."

He checked his watch briefly and frowned, creating a crease in his forehead that I strangely wanted to touch.

"I'm sorry, but I need to go and check on the pack jobs. You know, me being alpha now and everything." Noah shifted closer to me and rubbed his thumb over my cheek cautiously, causing a herd of butterflies to tickle the walls of my stomach.

"I'm leaving your pack in a few hours," I breathed, ever so quietly. "I have school tomorrow."

He thought for a second and then smiled.

"Would you mind if I picked you up tomorrow? I'd like to show you somewhere." My cheeks reddened but I couldn't help returning the smile he gave me. He seemed so different from the careless, cold alpha I had seen only yesterday.

"Okay, where will you take me?" He stood up, and made his way towards the wooden door. Before he opened it, he turned back and winked at me.

"You'll see tomorrow." With that, he opened the door and shut it behind him gently.

What on earth just happened?

A/N I am so sorry for the long wait, but now school is over! I'll have over 6 weeks to write and not be dragged down by work! I hope you enjoy this long-awaited chapter.

Vote and comment please :)