Chapter 6

"Kyle?" 

My jaw dropped in utter shock as I stared at the handsome man standing before me. His honey blonde hair was styled off of his face and his toned body was enveloped snugly in a steel grey suit, that appeared to make his crystal blue eyes even more blue.

"River, what are you doing here?" His smooth voice interrupted my train of thought and I closed my almost drooling mouth.

"I could ask you the same thing," I chuckled and relaxed, knowing I would actually have a friend in this ceremony.

"My brother is becoming the new Alpha," He explained, smiling. "It would be rude if I wasn't here. How about you?"

"I didn't know you have a brother. Oh, and my father is friends with Samuel...I mean your father."

Kyle nodded and grinned down at me from his great height.

"Strange, Dad never told me anything about your family. How suspicious." He stroked his chin jokingly and I giggled. At that moment my parents came out of their room and looked between us carefully.

"Hello again young man." My mother offered him a smile and shook his hand with quite a lot of energy. My father just nodded quickly.

"Hello Mr and Mrs Blackthorn," He glanced at his watch quickly. "I apologise, but I have to be down at the marquee now since I'm part of the family."

Kyle turned and started strolling down the corridor, looking back only once to mouth: I'll find you later.

My cheeks reddened at his words and I looked down at the carpet to hide the blush from my parents.

"Such a shame you aren't mates, what a polite young boy!" My mother pouted and my father frowned slightly. I shot a glare at my mother and she laughed sweetly, putting her arm around me. "You look beautiful sweetie. Shall we go down?"

I nodded, and we made our way down to the garden door, where many people were already milling around waiting for the ceremony to start. As we stepped onto the paving, a delicious scent made its way into my senses, and I smiled subconsciously. It calmed me from the worry over so many people here at one time. 

The ceremony was due to start in 10 minutes so my mother used it as the perfect excuse to socialise with other women, dragging me all over the venue. It was rather annoying. Just as she was about to find other people to talk to, a booming voice swept over the expanse of lawn.

"Ladies and gentlemen, please proceed to take your seats. The ceremony will begin shortly."

Luckily for us, Samuel had reserved seats for us near the front of the marquee, giving us a perfect view of the platform raised at the front. There was a carved oak chair positioned regally in the middle of the platform for everyone to see. I assumed that was where Kyle's brother was going to go through the process of becoming the new alpha. 

My eyes swept the marquee, as the flood of people entering grew thin. There must have been over five hundred people all seated on the comfortable benches, with more people gathering around the sides to get a good view. It was just a tad intimidating.

Before I could look around any further, footsteps resounded on the platform and I swiftly turned back around to see the ceremony begin. Kyle, a gorgeous woman and another man that I did not know proceeded to walk onto the stage and they bowed in respect, before seating themselves at the back of the platform. 

I tried to catch Kyle's eye but then Samuel strode up and stood straight at the microphone off to the side of the intricate chair. He took a deep breath and began.

"Hello everyone, as you are aware, today is a very special day for our pack's future, as another generation of Frost will guide you through good and bad events. I believe my eldest son to be fully capable of keeping you safe from anything that may arise." 

Samuel cleared his throat and smiled at us, a smile that held a sadness along with happiness.

"Noah Frost, you have grown into a strong man, and you will grow further as you take responsibility in so many lives. Just know that it's fine to ask for help. Your father will always assist you when you need it most." 

Suddenly, a familiar yet unfamiliar scent filled my nostrils in an almost overwhelming manner. It was a delicious blend of summer rain, freshly cut grass and ocean breeze, like nature had invaded my senses. It left me feeling lightheaded and weak.

My eyes snapped open before I could realise I had even closed them, and a small gasp escaped my parted lips. Before us, stood the most beautiful man I had ever seen in my entire life. 

Soft, wavy, dark hair sat atop his head in a way that wasn't neat, but it wasn't messy either. Steely grey eyes stared straight before him as he lowered his muscular, tanned body into the chair that seemed to fit him perfectly. 

My heart quickened the more I looked at him, and the scent that radiated off of him...

I saw his eyebrows furrow in confusion as he peered around the packed marquee, and all I wanted to do was jump up and scream at him to notice me. Obviously, I couldn't.

A young boy reached up and passed an object to Samuel as I fidgeted in my seat slightly. It appeared to be a silver locket that gleamed lazily as Samuel held it carefully in his hands. He placed it gently around Noah's neck, arousing a huge round of applause as I got more and more restless in my seat. 

Then, Noah lifted himself gracefully out of his seat and headed towards the microphone. I was not expecting the sound of his voice to be so smooth and deep.

"I thank you all for welcoming me as your new Alpha today. I promise to build this pack higher, to make sure everyone is safe, and to defend against anything that may cross our paths. You have my word." 

He bowed just like his family had before him and those grey eyes searched the roaring crowd. By now, I was a mess, completely swallowed by the new sensations in the atmosphere. I begged his eyes to reach mine, begged for him to see what had happened on this day.

Like magic, his eyes met mine.

Silver specks lit up inside the perfect irises, as he stared at my quivering self.

"Mate," He whispered.

A/N I am so sorry for the late update! I've had to deal with a difficult situation, and I didn't feel like writing. Anyway, what do you think about this chapter? Let me know!