SIXTEEN

The day before our departure would be spent saying goodbye. Jason would hang out with his friends one last time, while I would spend the day tracking down a choice few.
I would go to the diner and see Pop one last time, stop by the DeSantos', find my brother- who was most likely at the drive in theater-, and if by chance my father wasn't at the bar I would stop there too.
Right now I was currently heading towards Pop Tate's diner where I would eat lunch with Jason, and see Pop one last time, before we parted ways for the day.
Jason was already there when I pulled into the parking lot, the redheaded boy propped up against his cherry red convertible. I pulled in next to him before getting out, the two of us making our way into the diner.
Multiple eyes watched us as we came in, not many knowing that the resident golden boy and damaged one of Riverdale even associated with one another.
Only a choice few knew about us, since whenever we did go out in public together we either sat in the back corner where no one could see us, or there was simply no one out.
I inwardly gulped at the stares we were receiving. Sure, I was used to stares as I was one of the known members of the Southside Serpents, but I wasn't used to people staring out of curiosity. I was used to people staring in fear, and sometimes even resentment.
Jason, as if sensing my unease, grabbed onto my hand and kept up with my pace. I smiled for a split second before spotting one of the only other red heads in town, and my brother.
Archie Andrews and Jughead Jones the third were sat in Jughead's and my usual booth, neither of them looking happy. While it easily could have been mistaken for nothing, I could tell it was something more.
"Manic," Jason called my name, "babe, come on." I looked over at him, rolling my bottom lip into my mouth slightly.
"Actually, I'll uh meet you there. There's something I have to do," I said, eyeing the booth the two best friends sat at. Jason followed my gaze, immediately understanding what I was trying to say.
He nodded silently before letting go of my hand, walking off to find us a booth. I made my way over to Jughead and Archie, sliding in next to the other redhead. I ignored the annoyed look on Jughead's face, looking at the two questioningly.
"What happened to your arm?" Jughead asked immediately, but I ignored him. He would be even more broken up if he had known what happened.
"What's got you two fired up?" I questioned, grabbing a few fries off of Archie's plate and eating them, raising my eyebrow at them. Archie almost immediately sunk into himself, my brother throwing a glare his way.
"We were supposed to go on a road trip, and he's currently cancelling," Jughead said, a glint in his tone. I could tell he was pissed off, but who could blame him? I scoffed throwing a look at Archie.
"Really, Arch? That really isn't cool," I said, "what would you do if everything had already been planned out and booked and shit?"
Archie grew more sheepish at my words, Jughead immediately pitching in again.
"Yeah, Archie?"
"Everything, uh, already is. We were supposed to leave today," Archie said, remorse in his voice. I scoffed once more, turning to my brother.
"Wow, great friend you got here," I said sarcastically, standing up, "well, it's been, great? I'll see you around little bro." I swallowed my guilt, walking away before my twin could see it on my face.
I went over to where Jason had been waiting, a booth relatively in the middle of the diner. He sat on one side while I sat on the other, both of us quietly looking around. We didn't speak until the waitress came to take our order, immediately quieting back down after she left.
Jason grabbed onto my hand that was resting on the table, rubbing circles with the pad of his thumb as we both continued gazing over the small diner.
This would be the last time we ever came here, ever ate here, ever saw any of these people again, and it was setting in just how real our plan was. Faking our deaths isn't something we can just come back from, it was permanent.
His blue eyes caught my hazel ones, both of us keeping our stare. There was a certain sadness between us, as this reality set in.
"No going back," I whispered, feeling Jason tighten his grip slightly.
"No going back," he repeated, both of us falling silent once more as our food was set down in front of us.

This lowkey sucks ass.