I | REYNA

MOVING.

REYNA BLINKED THE SLEEP out of her half-lidded eyes. Surmising the current and peculiar surroundings was the objective. And yet the task proved as daunting as capturing air. Back pain attacked her lower extremities. A dismal groan almost made out of her lips; a shy, unwelcome dawn. The seat chirped upon the slightest movement. Boisterous teenagers pounded hammers in her head. Someone from the front seats jumped again and again. His guffaws permeated the air, raising several complaints.

What an inviting place.

( Do I belong here? )

Reyna had the window seat, though. The sun's warm fingers stroke her face. With a sigh she turned towards it, a sunflower seeking its embrace. A soft tug at her clothes raked her attention away in vain. The world shrunk to just her and the view of weathered ridges and wide plains stretching towards the horizon. Sculptured by centuries of flowing water, moving earth, and scorching winds, the millennial-aged welcoming mat of the Grand Canyon continuously took her breath in that exhilarating way.

This was definitely one of the best trips Reyna made outside. Three crucial factors prevented her from enjoying this, though. One, this all felt too normal. Two, she didn't know the reason why she rode this bus. And three, the braided girl beside her asked an obvious question.