Chapter 24---LAST CHAPTER---

Start from the beginning

“Hey baby.”

“Did you miss me?” She looked at me in the innocent way all kids have and I gave her a fake shocked look, my mouth opening wide.

“Were you not here?!” I gasped and shook my head. “Then who did I put to bed all week? Did you pay some kid to pretend to be you just so you could confuse me?”

She giggled loudly, “NO!” She screamed, high pitched and giggled again. I shook my head at her and turned from the room when I caught the private look my dad sent me. Yeah, yeah I know. Go away. I can’t interrupt your precious time with the kid that you actually like…

I sighed and walked into the kitchen, smiling again when I saw my mom standing next to the stove. “Mom.” I whispered when I got behind her and wrapped my arms around her waist, laying my head on her back. “I missed you.”

“Awe, I missed you to.” She took a step forward and I reluctantly let her go. “Why are you not in school?” She didn’t ask it in an ‘I’m going to punish you’ kind of way so I shrugged my shoulders and smiled lightly.

“Cause I missed you and wanted to come home and see my mommy?” I made sure to pout a little and I knew the moment she started to cave by the roll of her eyes.

“Whatever.” She laughed, ruffling up my hair. “Are you hungry?”

 I gave her a look, “Do you have to ask?”

“Your right, stupid question.” She mumbled as she started to fix me a sandwich. I watched her the whole time with a smile on my face. It’s always better when she’s home. More and more, especially lately, I’ve been wondering if I should just tell her what my dad is like when she’s not around. How much would our lives change if I told her the truth? Would she have to go back to work? Hell, would she have to work two jobs now just so that we would be able to have food and a place to live? My dad is the only one who works in this house, at least he was. Does she even know that he got fired because he couldn’t stop drinking long enough to go to work?

I bit down on my lip and stared at the countertop. Maybe, the abuse will stop now that she’s back. Maybe I don’t have to say anything at all. I don’t think I could be the reason that this family breaks up anyway.

“Here.” She put a plate in front of me and I smiled in thanks. “Now tell me what went on while I was gone.”

I took a bite of my sandwich, stalling and coming up with a few lies that she would believe. “Nothing much. Same as usual I guess.” I shrugged at her and went back to my sandwich.

“Did you and dad get to spend any time together?”

“Uh, sure. A little.” I avoided her gaze as I answered. If she only knew what kind of time we spent together.

“Well, that’s good, right?”

“Yeah, it was great.” I stopped my eyes from rolling and stood up. “I’m going to go lay down.” I left the rest of my sandwich sitting on my plate and walked away, passing the living room where I could hear my sister telling our dad every detail of her trip. I paused at the corner and watched as he grinned at her and looked at her like she was the most special thing in his world.

“Whatever.” I mumbled to myself and continued on to my room. I opened the door and groaned out loud when I saw that it still looked exactly the same as it did the last time I was here. It still looked like some tornado came in and destroyed almost everything in here.

It took me half an hour to get it cleaned up enough to where I could actually stand being in here. The smell of stale beer was still strong, strong enough to have me throwing open my window and hoping it airs out a bit before my mom decides to come in. What would I say then? Not the truth, for sure.