Chapter 26: When the man you love ends up hating you

Start from the beginning

'No one touches my friends', I heard a voice saying and then I saw Sarah in the kitchen. I felt the wind against my skin and then a wave was formed that lifted Debbie into the air and threw her sharply on the floor. I heard her bones cracking when she landed on the tile floor.

'Eric will never love you anyway. You are only a weapon to him', she said.

Sarah gave me her hand to help me get up.

'You really don't manage without me. Baldric was right.'

'You have no idea how happy I am to see you.'

'Are you alright? How do you feel? Show me your back!'

'But, Debbie?'

'She's gone.'

She stood in a pool of blood. Her eyes were closed.

'No', I yelled.

I got down on my knees next to her and checked her pulse.

'She...she is really gone...I said in trembling voice.

'She had it coming', Sarah said. She sounded so cold.

'No one deserves to die, no matter how bad they are. This is the third person who has died because of me.'

I took her into my arms; I did not know what I was doing; I just yelled at her to open her eyes.

'Cut it out, Kate. Life it tough. Welcome to the magic world. Now get up; We have work to do.'

I got up and only then I realized that I had blood all over me. I washed my hands; I was feeling miserable.

'I don't know what hurts more; the fact that Eric will hate me his entire life or the fact that he will suffer because Debbie died.'

'How are you feeling?'

'I don't know... I cannot describe how I feel.'

'Kate, the morhs will soon get past the barrier. You will begin to feel worse; I cannot give you painkillers because I need you lucid. Let me have a look at your back', she said.

She came next to me and when she lifted my t-shirt, she cursed.

'Kate, I did not know it was so bad. How are you holding on?'

'It's hard', I said to her. I reached for my back and felt the deep cuts into my skin; it burned.

'Baldric had better hurried up with that cure. Now let's go.'

'Where? We cannot leave her like this. I have to call Mystic.'

'Kate, trust me. Debbie is your last concern. By the looks of your back, you are heading for the final stage. The fact that the morhs are so close is only accelerating your condition.'

I took a deep breath in. I did not know what to say. I continued to look at Debbie who was lying dead in front of me. Then I looked at myself; I was covered in blood. And the icing on the cake was that Eric had showed up.

'No', he screamed when he saw Debbie

Then he looked at me with icy eyes. He was shaking.

'This is your fault' he said; He was coming towards me but Sarah got between us.

'No, Eric. Debbie did this to herself.'

'What are you doing here?'

He pushed her next to me, grabbed my shoulders and squeezed tightly.

'Why?' he said while he shook me.

I let my head down and sighed. I did not know what to say.

'I...am sorry.'