Chapter 23: Just another crazy day in the campus

I did not know what I was going to do with my life. I had to decide what to tell Eric about Baldric. I did not know for how long I was going to be able to avoid that check-up with Amanda. The most overwhelming thing had been the kiss with Eric. I just wanted to be a normal wizard student for one day. Maybe I should do that and enjoy life until...well...until I won't be able to, because I was going to become a victim of that morh's poison...

Miss Schumbar, the defence professor who was a bit over thirty, had a strange behaviour; unlike she had previously had. She had big black circles around her eyes and did not wear any make-up. She normally wore her light-brown hair down, perfectly brushed, but now she had it loosely tied at the back of her head. She looked very agitated throughout the entire class and seemed ready to fight off an attack at any moment. But from whom?

She explained to us how to avoid a fire attack. We should either create some sort of invisible shield whose resistance will depend on the volume and intensity of the flame, or we should use a fight-off spell. But, for those who did not major in water, such a spell would be difficult to control. In addition to the introductory courses, we would have to choose a major based on the elements of nature and depending on our abilities with them.

I had a thirty-minute break until my next class. There was no one in the music room so I took advantage of the silence. It had been such a long time since I had last played the piano. I missed it and needed that. I let my fingers run free on the keyboard and played the first song that came to my mind. One of Yiruma's pieces: River flows on you. This play really touched my soul. I felt each keystroke producing electricity that sent shivers through my entire body. The room became filled with a dance of lights, and colourful lightning bolts flowing out of the piano every time I stroke a key. This was absolutely wonderful. It was as if I were watching a kaleidoscope. I continued playing; I was smiling and could feel the song more profoundly than I had ever before.

When I was done, I heard clapping. I turned and I was surprised to see so many people. The room was soundproof; I thought I could play without anyone nosing in.

'It was superb', Maggie said as she was coming towards me.

People gathered around me and it felt strange to be asked so many questions.

'I have never seen this sort of thing before. Those lights moving as you were playing. It was incredible', said a guy who was two years older than I. How did a beginner like you manage to do that?'

'Aaa...I did not do anything. Is this not a magic piano? Doesn't it do that for every play?'

They all started to laugh. What was so funny?

'I get it that you want to keep this secret to yourself. But this is a normal piano. Magic piano? Really?' Said the guy from before.

'The music was heard throughout the entire faculty. How did you do that?' asked one of Sarah's friends; she had such an annoying high-pitched voice. I think her name was Olivia.

'Why didn't you sign up for the music class, since you are so talented?' Another girl asked.

An older woman whom I did not know came next to me.

'This was magnificent!' she said excited. I could use a student like you. I want you in my class! I will talk to the headmistress to allow you to sign up for my class. In fact, I will go talk to her straightaway.'

And she left without even asking if I wanted to be in her class. This woman was in her fifties. She had big red hair that smelled as if it had just been dyed.

'How is it to feel like one of the privileged ones?' Sarah asked me. Some of us have been trying for a long time to get into Miss Wilson's class; but she is so difficult to please. She is the best.'