Baxstory

Chapter Title Cred: @kikiwaii9
They are literally the sweetest bean omtl

I want to say thank you for all of your kind comments because even if I don't have anxiety, social awkwardness, or anything that society tends to glam up, I do have cripplingly low self esteem. And I guess I'm okay with it because I like to laugh at myself, but it is a nice feeling when I see unprompted compliments in the comments.

I left Y/N alone reluctantly, not entirely ready to be sucked in by my thoughts. But I did so anyway, waving my hand around, causing the channels on the television to flicker as I mindlessly browsed through.

The opportunity to alert Father of my progress had come very frequently, but I never took it. He's always been very hard on me, ever since my mother died he began to realize that I needed constant attention. Maybe it was because of my sardonic humor, or maybe it was how cynical I could be, Dad didn't like it and thought I should be reformed. I didn't say anything, he was doing what was best so I wouldn't end up like her. Dead because she cared for her carrier a little bit too much.

As I stopped on a channel, I noticed how familiar the scene was. The actions that took place. The screaming and yelling that occurred. It all seemed like something I had witnessed, except it irked me as to why the program was making it a much bigger issue than it should be.

Flashback

It's been two years since my mom died. Dad said he didn't want me to end up like her so I wasn't mad when he hit me. But it still hurt. My friends and I weren't old enough yet to have our own carrier, being ten years old and all. Traditionally, you were rewarded with your first carrier at thirteen, but Dad says that the times are changing so he has to toughen me up.

I scurried around the house, picking up small things from the floor that Dad would surely get angry at. I had done all of my chores and cleaned the house up and down and left to right. There was no way I'd get punished today.

Gleefully, I sat on the couch in front of the television but left it up, picking up a book that I had read more than a dozen times. It was one of the plots Mother had to fix up. She always made them a bit more interesting which I found admirable, but the Committee had never been as fond of her ways.

The door to our small hovel in the sky opened, the sound of it slamming shut echoed throughout the house as Dad's grumbled of anger could be heard.

"Bax," he grunted angrily. In my eyes it was way scarier than him yelling, though. Something probably happened at work.

I walked over swiftly to Dad, not using my teleportation because he tended to get disturbed when I did that. "Why didn't you clean up?"

A frown overtook my face, "I-I did."

He reached forward grabbing a fist full of my shirt, "You better watch your mouth. Your mother got in trouble for the same thing." He released his hold on my pretty roughly but I was just glad he didn't punch me.

"Pick them up," he waved over wearily at the shoes he had taken off and threw onto the floor upon entering. The only blemish on the house I had surely cleaned extremely.

Without argument, I picked them up and set them in the shoe closet. Before closing the door, I could hear dad opening a bottle and guzzling the drink loudly. With a wince I tread carefully back to my room, not wanting to be within vicinity of the man.

Sadly, I didn't make it. "Bax, come over here," he called loudly with no regard of how distraught he sound.

"Yes?" I answered, in front of him within seconds. Inwardly I flinched because I had used teleportation.

"You know," he began. "You know I love you, son. Right?"

I nodded dutifully, "Yes."

He grunted as he stood up from his chair, cracking his knuckles and rubbing his face. As he towered above me, I knew the inevitable would come. My muscles tenses up as he brought a hand up, trying to brace myself.

"Then you know this hurts me more than it hurts you."

End Flashback

"It's abuse!" The woman on the television cried in what seemed overwhelming dramatic. I snorted at the situation.

Despite it being all too familiar, it was just that the events that had taken place before were exaggerated in my opinion. I had learned that abuse was when you hurt someone to almost the brink of death, not just throw several punches until one bleeds.

Dad had told me that once he came home from duty on the Committee in a vaguely good mood.

I trust him, he wouldn't lie to me.

Time passed slowly and I was bored, Без перевода weren't really useful when their carrier had been taking things well. And surprisingly, Y/N was taking this mission pretty well. It had something to do with Rich Goranski. He was the reason that Y/N was doing so well and that I wasn't needed nearly as much.

Без перевода.

I wondered if my mother would be proud of the things I've accomplished and how I started at such a younger age. I wondered how life would be if Mom hadn't died. Dad never told me how she passed away, I had assumed with her carrier in a different universe. But still, that seemed fishy.

Bax, are you there? Bax? Please answer me.

Yeah, what's wrong? Y/N seemed frantic.

Can you come pick me up? I checked the time. It was way earlier than the end of the time the school ended.

Why?

Please. I need you to pick me up.

The usually stern voice that rang out through my head was shaking. Never a good sign. This had only happened once, when we had to take over The Hunger Games plot. She was having a panic attack in the middle of the games. I'm coming, stay where you are.

Thank you.