After quickly explaining my idea to our driver, the car sped forward towards the barricade, Shawn opened the sunroof and I climbed out as gunshots sounded.  "Jump!' He leapt towards us just as Daniel drifted to the left, barely missing the hunters. Our hands locked and I hauled him up and over into the car as bullets whizzed passed us. The back tires were shot out, but Daniel kept going, through the dirt and into the trees. At the very least we had some coverage here. Motorbikes revved closely behind us.

"Out! Everyone out! Let's go!" Daniel ordered. We shifted instantly and leapt as a pack. The bikes didn't slow. Did they really think they could keep up with us? I couldn't help but snort at their arrogance. We ruled the woods. They were foolish to think they could run us out. Humans shall not take what is m-

'Focus, daughter. There are more important matters than this.' A new voice snapped me out of my storm. I blinked, when did my vision start tinting red?

'Alexander?'

'Your wolf has an enormous sense of pride and is even more territorial. Her thoughts and emotions, her very spirit influences you. But don't let it take control.' I could feel Luke's consciousness on me, aware of how I felt.

'I'm fine.' I reassured my mate who raced beside me.

The town had every western entryway guarded and patrolled. Home. I was locked out of my own home, made to feel like an invader. Luckily for us, Victor owned dozens of acres of land, his territory needed to be big enough to shelter his pack. I didn't know if I could face him though...

Her eyes,  fresh and bright as the morning. Her hair, sleek and black as night. Her smile, contagious, proud, and free. I had taken all of that from him. Turned it to ash. My eyes burned from fresh tears as we marched towards the pack house. A solemnity shrouded the home of the mourning Alpha. What could I say so he'd know how full of regret I am? What could I do to make it better?

"Welcome, Lord Alexander Albescu." The pack's warriors lined up the drive, all down on one knee, leading to the door where Victor Kertis stood.

"Rise, my brothers and sisters, we're to stand as a family right now." The wolves rose but kept their eyes down. Victor stood fast, shoulders back, but even his head was bowed out of respect. "Your daughter, Eliza Kertis, she had true Alpha in her. I will forever be grateful to her. I am deeply sorry for your loss."

"She fought bravely til the end, I couldn't be more proud." Victor's voice was strained and my chest felt like it was being impaled. I couldn't meet his gaze, instead a tear fell from captivity. With my head hanging low, I kept opening my mouth to say something. At least apologize! But I couldn't. No words that surfaced felt like they would communicate exactly how I felt. Instead, more tears just kept falling and my teeth held my lip in place, refusing to let a sob loose as it trembled. "Fay.." The lump in my throat returned.

"I know you probably hate me, I would hate me..." I began as streams flowed from my eyes. "If I could..." My brain was a disaster, and a sudden hug shocked it to silence.

"I don't hate you. I lost my daughter, but you also lost your friend. I know the love you had for one another, I know you're hurting too." He stroked my hair down, letting me cry.  He pulled away, holding me at arms length. "There's nothing's to forgive. She is with her mate, running free in the endless skies, singing with our goddess." I felt his words true, but that didn't exactly make everything better.

"Still no word from Evelyn?" Daniel paced in the Alpha's office. "It's as though they just vanished."

"Who's taken back the city then? There's guards everywhere, we had to basically come around the back." Shawn added, he had opened up considerably since we had settled back in the pack house, surrounded by his family once again. We lost our belongings when we ditched the car but there was always an abundance here.