Chapter 17: A Crossroads

Jack

"Okay, look. You and I are obviously at what they call a crossroads."

Jack landed on the roof of Jamie's house just in time to hear him attempt conversation with the Guardians through a stuffed bunny.

"Here's what's gonna happen. If it wasn't a dream, and you are real. Then you have to prove it, like right now."

Jamie swallowed and looked down, then back up at the bunny.

"I've believed in you for a long time, okay? Like, my whole life in fact, so you kind of owe me now."

He picked up the bunny and held it closer and spoke to it with earnest and desperation in his voice.

"You don't have to do much. Just a little sign, so I know. Anything. Anything at all."

Jack could see the faith leaving Jamie as his shoulders stooped and he dropped the bunny with a forlorn, "I knew it."

Jack climbed in to the room through the window and tapped the pane with his staff. Frost spread immediately, and he started drawing. He heard a gasp and knew Jamie had seen.

"He's real."

Jack moved onto the second pane and held his hands near the rabbit, which came to life and leapt into his hands.

The bunny started to hop around the room, with the two of them laughing as Jamie tried to catch it. Suddenly it fell apart into snowflakes.

"Snow?"

Realization lit Jamie's eyes and he whispered, "Jack Frost."

"He said my name?" Jack whispered.

"Jack Frost."

"He said it again. You said- you said-", he turned to Jamie, who had been looking around the room.

Jamie's eyes landed on Jack, and they visibly widened.

"Jack Frost", he said again, but this time, this time in wonderment.

"That's right! That's me! Jack Frost! That's my name!" He leaned in towards Jamie, "You said my name!?"

Jamie was still in shock, and had his mouth hanging wide open on astonishment.

"Wait, can you hear me?"

He could only nod.

"You can hear- You can see me?"

Another nod, this one accompanied with a growing smile.

"He sees me! He sees me!"

"You just made it snow!"

"I know!"

"In my room!"

"I know!"

"You're real?!"

"Yeah! Who do you think brings you all the blizzards, and the snow days?! Remember when you went sledding on that sled the other day?!"

"That was you?!"

"That was me!"

"Cool!"

"Right?!"

"Look, what about the Easter Bunny? and the- and the tooth fairy? And the- I mean- who?!"

"Real! Real Real, everyone of us, is real!"

"I knew it!"

Finally, someone could see him, someone believed in him, he felt ready to explode with this kind of happiness. Because, for the first time since he'd woken up over a lake on a moonlit night, he almost felt complete.

His smile dropped a little as he turned to the window. Almost. Even after his memories had fallen back into him like a tsunami, he could still feel the gaps in his past: an empty feeling in his chest, a girl with eyes like an icy ocean just after midday, and a single name on the tip of his tongue accompanied by a resounding silence.

Bits and pieces were missing, like her smile and his childhood and little snippets of his own sister's laughter. Pieces were missing and he was terrified he'd never get them back.

He shook the thoughts from his head because as of the present, he had more pressing matters to focus on.

Like kicking the boogyman's sorry nightmarish ass.

***

Last Edited: 4.2.16