Chapter 18: The Hated

Pitch

No. This couldn't be happening. This was impossible.

He squeezed his eyes shut and took a series of short breaths, the cold air stinging against the back of his throat.

Everything he'd worked for, all of the good and the bad, it was all falling apart— slipping away like dust between his fingers.

His eyes snapped open and locked on the boy with the white hair, the boy with only half a thought to pull between the past and the present, the boy with a lost love, the boy with eyes from a lifetime ago that the Nightmare King couldn't remember.

His own thoughts were slipping, slipping through the cracks in the armor of anxiety, darkness, and fear he'd built around himself... Slipping like a half remembered dream...

Eyes like storms and hearts of steel and a suffocating darkness and a single word, "Fear".

He was Fear. He took without regrets all the while drowning in loneliness. This was him and he was fine. Absolutely fine.

He would gain what he'd lost and he'd make them all regret.

His eyes focused once more on the laughing boy through the window, with a grin that reminded him too much of one from his past, and he swore he'd end this boy who dared to look into the darkness without fear or sincerity.

He'd rip that naïve courage apart, he'd let them know what fear truly was.

***

Last Edited: 4.10.16