she's leaving the apartment to meet her mum for lunch. she succeeded in her task of studying until lunchtime. but now she can't wait to speak to "will" again.

the restaurant's not far from her home, so she decides to walk there, arriving just ten minutes later. she's early, so she sits at a table by the window, patiently waiting for her mum and impatiently waiting for a reply from "will".

they both come together. amelia feels the vibration of the cellphone at the same time as she sees her mum entering the establishment through the door. the woman spots her almost immediately, and amelia has no choice but to leave his message for later.

"how are you, sweetie?" andrea asks, hugging her.

"i'm good, mum, how about you? how's work?" amelia smiles, sitting back on the chair and quickly checking her phone, just to confirm if the text message is indeed from coffee guy. it is.

"work's just the same old boring thing. tell me about yourself, my love."

"well, i've missed you, mummy. you've been travelling a lot for work, so it can't be that boring."

"but it is. what's fun about being stuck in an office sixteen hours a day for an entire week, even if it's in china? i'll tell you: there's nothing fun about it."

"sixteen hours, mum? you can't do this to yourself! you do look tired. you need some time off urgently." amelia says, a frown on her face.

amelia's mum chuckles lightly and shakes her head, dismissing her daughter's concerns.

"you know what i need urgently? food. i'm starving."

the girl rolls her eyes playfully as her mum laughs, carefully reading the menu.

"i'm not letting you get away with this, lady. you should be taking care of yourself."

"okay, baby, but can we eat now please?"

"when did i become the mother in this relationship?!" amelia says and they laugh.

"well, we both know deep down that you've always been."

amelia loves spending time with her mum, especially because their meetings have been more and more rare in the last few years. busy woman. but even with amelia's heart filled with happiness and love, her mind keeps wandering back to her phone. it vibrates a few more times and she's getting very distracted by her own curiosity. so for the first time in her life, she has to try really hard to control herself from not picking up the phone and reading his messages.

they talk and catch up until andrea looks at her watch, widening her eyes.

"oh no, i've gotta go!" she exclaims, and a sad look takes over her face. "i'm sorry, sweetie."

amelia nods and smiles softly, caressing her mum's hand.

"it's alright, mummy, i understand. but can we please meet again soon? and by soon i mean in less than three months?!"

"yes! i promise! and before i go, i think i still have time to ask you, why are you so distracted today? you kept glancing at your phone."

amelia raises her eyebrows in surprise. she didn't think her mum would notice.

"oh. ummm, it's nothing, really."

"i don't buy it. c'mon, tell me! is it a boy?!" she smirks, raising her eyebrows repeatedly.

amelia rolls her eyes and sighs, giving up and deciding to tell her the truth. why not?

"well... yeah... i mean, it's really nothing, it's just this guy who goes to the same coffee shop as me, that's all. not a big deal."