Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

Later that evening I was sitting in my room with my depressing thoughts. I was upset with everything going on in my life and it was finally catching up on me.

I haven’t heard from my Mother for two weeks and I can’t have Tommy staying with me because I wouldn’t have enough money to feed him properly since I’m hardly eating myself. Then there was the way Drake brushed me off as if I was nothing more than dirt, which hurt me more that I would have liked it too. Times like these made me miss my Dad even more because I couldn’t do what I normally did when I was angry.

I grabbed the picture of my dad and me from the inside of my drawer. I couldn’t keep it out for me to see every time I was in here. It was overwhelming and it never failed to choke me to tears whenever I looked at it.

It was a picture of my dad picking me up in a boxing ring after I won the competition. I was the only girl who competed and I fought every guy that came my way. There was this huge grin lighting up my expression even after I had taken a lot of punches on my face. One of my fists was pumped into the air as I was claimed champion and the other was around my father’s neck. He was looking at me with a beaming smile, the proud look in his eyes captured perfectly by the photographer.

It was the last fight I had with my father around.

I took the picture out of the frame. I always felt that holding the photograph in your hand makes it more personal, as if it I could just reach my way back into the past. But what I wasn’t expecting was for something else to slip out with it.

Frowning, I picked it up from the floor as it dropped beside my feet.

I sat on my bed and looked down at the white wrapping. I turned it around to look for any sort of address on the envelope and that’s when I saw Rosie written on the front. I felt my hands start to shake slightly as I recognized the handwriting belonged to my Fathers.

It was for me.

It took me longer than normal to open it with my hands trembling. Taking what was inside of it out, I saw it was a letter.

I took in a deep breath before opening it up, reading the letter that changed my perspective on my opinions...

To my dearest Rose Petal,

If you’re reading this now, then I’m guessing I’m not here with you. It’s okay though because one day we all have to leave this world but we’ll meet again in a better place. I haven’t left you, I know that you made me promise you that I will never leave your side but I’m still there in your heart Rosie. When you feel like you need me then close your eyes and remember the many good times we’ve been through and I promise you’ll find the answer to all your problems.

I’m writing this now because if I didn’t get a chance to say this before then I would be hitting myself as I’m watching over you. I know that you would have given up on boxing. You would have stopped practicing in the gym because you’d think that it wouldn’t be right to continue something we started together. But I also know that deep down, you don’t want to give up and that you’re just longing to go back in the ring.

If you are feeling that, even just a tiny bit then please don’t stop doing something I know you love. Rosie when I watch you stand back up after being knocked down I’m the proudest father. You’re a fighter; you’re my little fighter. Everything you do makes me proud and you’ve never once let me down. I don’t want you to end something that we both had so much passion for.