Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

I was staring into the mirror and the girl looking back at me was smiling- a real, genuine smile. Her grey eyes were brighter, so much more alive. Her face was relaxed, the frown marks gone and then she was laughing freely. Laughing her stress away, laughing because she’s scared she will forget how to.

I shook my head.

The whole week past by in such a blur, with spending as much time as possible with Tommy, catching up on all the essays I hadn’t finished, going to the library at lunchtimes and helping out students younger than me with their homework after school. Then in the evenings I would go to the gym and train. I was starting to get back in the rhythm and the only thing that would make me move my feet to go there would be reading my father’s letter.

I was doing anything and everything to keep my mind of the fact that I had a sort of date-thing with Drake. It sounded crazy just saying it, me, Rose Addams going to a party with Drake Night. I hadn’t seen him all week and I may have purposefully avoided him because I thought he might have changed his mind on wanting to go with me.

It was Friday and I was at home, sitting at three in the afternoon in front of my mirror, smiling goofily at my phone in my hands. I received a text from Drake...

‘I hope you’re not avoiding me Rosie. We’ve got a date tonight and I know where you live, so you better be ready for six otherwise I’ll take you how you are’

My heart was beating so fast from just reading a simple text.

It was a date?

The huge grin reflected in the mirror perfectly and I realised, I was actually happy. Happy that he had asked me to go, happy that he made it clear that it was a date.

Wait.

Six?

That only gave me three hours to get ready! I hadn’t even chosen a dress yet! My mind worked quickly for a solution and in just a few seconds I found myself on the phone to Jessie.

“Hey Rose,” I heard her greet from the other end of the line.

“Bloody huge emergency! I have a date with Drake and I have nothing to wear and I have to be there for six, help me woman!” I screeched down the phone, talking faster than I thought was possible.

“I’m on my way with the dress in my hand, I’m going to pick Maria up. We’re coming now!” she shouted back before hanging up.

I grinned into my phone.

This is why I loved Jessie so much. She knew how to work quickly in these situations. I knew I was going to be bombarded with questions once they come but as long as they help me get ready I’ll happily answer them.

I went downstairs to make a sandwich since I hadn’t eaten anything all day. I was running out on food again and I had no money. So I was trying to eat less so it could last longer. I always left Nana’s before dinner since she was already providing food for Tommy. I just couldn’t allow her to give me food she spent the money on.

I just finished my sandwich when I heard constant knocking on the door and the bell ringing continuously throughout the house. I giggled to myself, as I knew my two best friends were really impatient.

I ran towards the door and pulled it open and then nearly got knocked off my feet as they shoved me aside throwing questions at me so quickly I hadn’t enough time to comprehend what had happened.