And it's pissed with me.

"Wally- Wally sit," I order, thankful for the obedience training I put him through. "Stay."

The snake keeps it's head reared up, ready to strike if I should move.

I knew we had rattlesnakes, though I've never seen one. A year ago one of the neighborhood kids got bit and died. I remember the ambulances showing up and being too late. Her sister goes to school with me- it was awful.

If this snake bites me no one will be calling an ambulance- I'm too far away to get back on my own and no one would come looking for me here except Chey- and she's taking a nap.

I take a deep breath, and stand my ground, hoping- praying- it will get bored and go away. But it doesn't. It just stares at me with it's unfeeling black eyes. Soulless eyes.

I close my own eyes, and force myself to breath. Inhale. Exhale. Inhale. Exhale.

Now how the hell do I get out of this?

Something rustles in the leaves of the tree above me, and a large, heavy branch falls, landing directly on the snake.

That couldn't have happened by chance, right?

I glance up to the nest of the tree, and notice shoes- and jeans- and then a person, though their face is shrouded by the leaves.

"Who's there," I cautiously ask, my adrenaline still rushing. I lift up Wally, ready to run at any moment.

"You sound surprisingly harsh when I just saved your life," the voice wryly chuckles.

I recognize the voice, though I can't place it.

"How do I know you didn't save me so you could gain my trust and then kill me yourself?" I sass.

"You don't- but a little gratitude would be appreciated anyways," he laughs, jumping out of the tree.

"Jace?" I question, tilting my head. "How do you know about this trail?"

"I found it a few weeks ago and come out here occasionally. What about you," he inquires.

"Chey and I have been coming here since we were kids."

His eyes perk up significantly at the mention of Chey, and I smirk.

"It appears someone has a little crush," I laugh, amused.

"No I don't."

"Your crimson cheeks disagree," I chuckle, setting Wally on the ground. Jace stays silent for a while before finally replying.

"Please don't tell her."

"Ah-hah! You do like her," I tease. "And don't worry, I won't tell. I'm not that mean."

Relief floods over his features, and he exhales a breath he appears to have been holding.

"Thanks- uh, Grace right?"

"Yeah, that's right- I have to go. Chey's staying with me and it's almost time for dinner," I sigh. He lifts his eyes when I say Chey's name again, and I chuckle internally at his lost-puppy appearance.

"Maybe I should walk you back- in case there are anymore snakes," he offers, though it's quite plain to me his motives behind the seemingly friendly proposition.

"Oh yeah- snakes," I taunt, wriggling my eyebrows. "But if you insist, alright. Maybe Chey will have woken up by now and she can meet you at the door."

Subtly is not in my vocabulary.

"Maybe," he hopefully states.

We start to walk back quietly, and I smile to myself.

Because Jace seems nice- he seems well put together and friendly and it appears he really likes Chey. He seems better than Justin.

And although I barely know him, I hope he and Chey get together.

"Oh Jace," I laugh, turning to him. "This is the start of a beautiful friendship."

Operation Chace- in progress.

A/N

Hope you liked this chapter that I know took FOREVER to update. I feel awful, I really do.

For those of you who don't know, I've been staying after school every day for rehearsals for The Wizard of Oz (I am a stage hand). We have been staying anywhere from 6-10 PM every day for two weeks.

So naturally I haven't had a lot of time.

Opening night was last night and we had our second performance today. I actually wrote this before/during/after the show.

Our last show is Sunday, and then Monday is set strike and then I'm done. So after Monday, updates will be more often.

Again, sorry for the wait!

And what do you think of Jace? And what about Chace?