75: Natalie

um, actually 74 part 2 …  this is right after the last

“Switch around,” Evie said, and moved her feet away from Natalie’s hands. “You’ve been doing that for ages. It’s my turn.”

Natalie nodded, and waited while Evie reorganised herself. Evie put her feet on the floor, and then looked at Natalie. “What should I do?” Evie said. “Face or feet? Or something else?”

“Face,” Natalie said. “Please.”

“Thought you might,” Evie said, and patted her lap.

Natalie lay down, and Evie started stroking her face, then pressing gently on Natalie’s temples. Natalie closed her eyes. She sometimes got slight tension headaches after being at work all day. A week ago, Evie had suggested they try this, and it seemed to work. Natalie wasn’t sure exactly what Evie was doing, other than pressing gently on her forehead, but felt good, and the headaches went away, and she was glad Evie wanted to.

She lay there, feeling Evie’s hands, and thinking it probably meant something, that they here, at home, but rubbing each other’s faces and feet rather than having sex. Whatever it meant, she liked it.

She must have smiled, because Evie said, “What?”

“Nothing,” Natalie said.

Evie rubbed for a while, pressing in tiny circles, and then her hands suddenly stopped. She leaned forward, bending over Natalie. Natalie felt her move, and felt breath on her face. She expected a kiss, and didn’t open her eyes. A kiss, because Evie had leaned closer.

Instead, Evie spoke. “You have grey roots,” she said, and then, a second later, “Oh fuck, I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean it like that. I just got a surprise.”

Natalie opened her eyes. Evie was looking down at her, apparently worried. “I’m sorry,” Evie said again. “Sometimes I just don’t think…”

“It’s fine,” Natalie said. “The grey is there.”

“I never noticed before.”

“Good,” Natalie said. “I have it coloured. Usually. Although apparently I shouldn’t have rescheduled my appointment last week.”

“You can hardly tell,” Evie said. “Really. I only did because I was looking from so close.”

Natalie shrugged.

Evie’s hands were still moving, rubbing gently, but she was also biting her lip. She seemed a little worried, Natalie thought. “Really don’t worry,” Natalie said. “It’s grey. It’s there. I mean, unless you’re horrified, it doesn’t matter.”

“Of course I’m not horrified.”

“You might be.”

“Well I’m not. I just shouldn’t say things like that without thinking.”

“Saying things is fine. It’s better than second-guessing yourself all the time.”

“I suppose,” Evie said. “I’m still sorry, though. I didn’t think.”

Natalie shrugged.

“I am,” Evie said. “And close your eyes.”

Natalie did, and Evie kept rubbing. Evie was quieter than usual, probably still thinking.

“You don’t mind my age do you?” she said, after a moment.

Natalie opened her eyes. “Why would I mind?”

“I don’t know. I might be immature. I might be boring. I haven’t done as much as other people you know.”

“Done as much what?”