59: Natalie

On Saturday, Natalie had to spend the morning at work, so she slipped out and left Evie in bed. She phoned Evie when she was finished and said, “I’m done, if you’re still there?”

“There as in your place?” Evie said.

“There as in bed.”

Evie laughed. “Nope. To both.”

“Oh,” Natalie said, a little disappointed. “Well, never mind.”

“I’m shopping. Come meet me if you want.”

Once Evie had said that, Natalie realized she could hear music in the background. “All right,” she said.

“We can go back to your place after.”

“Very much all right to that.”

“Good,” Evie said, and then seemed to stop and think. “Or I can just meet you there in a bit if you’d rather?”

“No, it’s fine. I’ll come and find you.”

“Only if you want to.”

Natalie wasn’t sure why Evie seemed hesitant. “I want to,” she said. “What’s wrong?”

“I’m looking at clothes. You might get bored.”

“I won’t,” Natalie said, confused. “Why would I get bored?”

“I don’t know. You might not like shopping.”

“I like shopping.”

“Well I don’t know. You wear the same things all the time.”

Natalie started to understand. “Work things?”

“Um, yeah.”

“Because I’m at work all the time. Evie, I promise I like shopping.”

“I’ve seen in your wardrobe.”

“The wardrobe where I hang the clothes I wear to work?”

Evie didn’t answer.

“There’s drawers in my bedroom too,” Natalie said. “Did you notice those?”

“Okay,” Evie said. “I just meant, you don’t have to unless you want to.”

“I want to,” Natalie said. “For god’s sake.”

“Well I want you to, so that’s good.”

“I am,” Natalie said. “I’m leaving now. Where are you?”

Evie told her. A mall that was nearby, close enough to walk, so Natalie decided she would. It was a warm day, the beginning of spring. She left her jacket and briefcase in her office, and got coffee on the way. She found Evie in a work-wear shop, looking at suits.

“Oh hey,” Evie said, and held up a jacket. “So question. Trousers or a skirt?”

“For when?”

“For job interviews. For lawyering. I need to start thinking about it since I’ll be finished in a couple of months and interviewing. Trousers are better, right? Like I’ll get taken more seriously.”

Natalie nodded.

“But you can look at legs in a skirt. So does that make a difference?”

“You shouldn’t…” Natalie said, and then realized Evie was teasing. “You can look at legs in trousers.”

“You’re a pervert.”

Natalie grinned. “I know. But wear trousers. Because yes, they’ll take you more seriously.”