46: Natalie

Outside the restaurant, the street was dark. Evie wandered in the direction of Natalie’s car, stumbling occasionally as she went. Natalie hurried, and caught up with her, worried she might trip. Evie didn’t trip. She smiled when Natalie appeared beside her, but seemed able to walk on her own. She stopped at the car, and turned around, and leaned back against the door, and said, “So.”

Natalie looked at her, unsure what that meant.

Evie reached out and caught Natalie’s jacket and used it to pull her closer. She pulled Natalie over, then kissed her. A proper kiss, a kiss that felt like she utterly, desperately meant it, pressing herself against Natalie, slipping her arms around the back of Natalie’s neck, holding onto her as tightly as she could.

“Thank you,” she said, after a moment. “For dinner. I liked it a lot.”

“I’m glad.”

“And I like you too. Have I said that already?”

“You did.”

“Well I really fucking like you. And I’m really glad I met you.”

“I am too, Evie. I really am.”

“Yeah,” Evie said, as though she’d forgotten she said it first. “Me too.”

There was more kissing. Natalie didn’t try to move, she just left Evie as she was, propped up against the car, draped around Natalie’s neck. After a while Evie gasped, “Can’t breathe,” and leaned back.

They looked at each other for a moment. Natalie reached into her pocket and beeped the car’s doors unlocked.

“It’s funny,” Evie said. “The first night I met you, you were pissed as fuck. Now I’m a little tipsy.”

“Just a little,” Natalie said.

“Yep,” Evie said, and kissed Natalie again. She kissed, then moved, turning them around, turning so Natalie was leaning on the car, feeling cold metal against her back. Natalie didn’t understand why, until Evie reached past her and opened the back door. Evie grinned, and climbed into the back seat.

Natalie stood there, unmoving, so Evie grabbed her hand and pulled. “Come on,” she said. “Get in.”

Natalie wasn’t sure. She hesitated, pulling back against Evie’s tugging. The street was quiet, but not completely quiet. There were houses opposite them, and other cars in the carpark. There might still be people around, and she was fairly sure she knew what Evie had in mind.

“Evie, we can’t,” Natalie said. “Not here.”

“Not for that,” Evie said. “Asshole. Just for kissing.”

Natalie didn’t quite believe her. “Perhaps we should go home?” Natalie said.

“Perhaps we should. Or you could get in the car.”

“I really don’t think I should right now. Not in the back.”

Evie pulled hard on Natalie’s arm again. “Come on, serious person, get in.”

Natalie gave up, and let Evie pull her inside. She sat, as Evie seemed to want her to, and Evie climbed onto her lap. Evie reached over, and pulled the door closed, then started kissing Natalie again, quite intensely. Kissing, pressing herself against Natalie, her mouth tasting of wine. Even drunk, Evie kissed well. She kissed like she was running out of air, and was breathing Natalie in as if her life depended on it.

They kissed. Then Evie reached down quite suddenly, and began fumbling at Natalie’s trousers, trying to slide her hand inside. In a parked car, in the street, outside a restaurant. They shouldn’t be doing this, Natalie thought, not there.