VII

They'd constructed a little village. The trees were all cleared, ample parking space. There was a large welcoming yurt in the front and little ones scattered throughout paths leading into the woods. The main yurt was made of birch, a cotton tarp wrapped around it, painted by at least a dozen different hands.  A sense of calm and safety overcame Orlie, they'd made a little community. It was quite beautiful how they'd done it. Then she noticed something in the mural, just to the left of the entrance.

Welcome to Las Vegas. Where America Came to Die.

It was painted in perfect calligraphy.

'Las Vegas?' asked Orlie.

'Yeah Vegas, New Mexico,' said Hunter, helping Mattie unload the wood off the trailer.

Something about this made her shiver.

A  tanned man in his late fifties came out from the main yurt. He was wearing a tie-dyed t-shirt and rainbow splattered harlem pants. Thick, dark, long dreads rolled down his back. His eyes were blue, effervescent. 

He gave her a bright wink, 'Well hello, hello! I'm Marley,' he said as he took Orlie's hand.

Orlie smiled, 'Hi. Orlie.'

His robust voice sung out like a lion's, 'What a stunner.' He eagerly eyed her, 'Welcome to our little haven here in Las Vegas, if you'll excuse me, we haven't had a visitor in quite some time. And, well, damn, you're just so pretty.'

Queenie spoke up, 'We're en route to Sedona, looking for somewhere safe to crash. We'd help out of course. Chop wood, do repairs, whatever for a place to sleep and something to eat.'

Marley took her hand with both of his, shaking it with hearty enthusiasm, 'My dear! Rad, rad things are happening out in Sedona right now. You're more than welcome to crash here tonight, no tithings necessary. Came at the perfect time, you sure did! The fire's getting built up right now for a very special celebration.'

'Have you been to Sedona?' asked Orlie, more interested in their destination.

Hunter piped up, 'Yeah, we checked it out. It's just a couple days ride. It's pretty incredible what they've built. That tower. The music is unreal. There are tons of amazing people. You definitely have to see it for yourself.'

Orlie's eyes grew wide, 'I can't wait.'

A couple more guys walked out from the yurt, they had bongos and a guitar. Their faces were painted brightly with coloured shapes and lines. Their eyes lit up when seeing the girls.

'Ahoy! I'm Jake the Cakemaster,' one exclaimed, giving them hugs.

This still felt foreign to Orlie. The other strummed his guitar, singing his name as a tune.

'Trav the Hammerman.'

'The guys are a little excited tonight. Come inside and I'll explain why,' said Marley with a toothy grin. He eloquently swung out his hand, inviting the girls in.

The yurt was even more beautifully decorated on the inside. Every wall meticulously painted with murals of geometric patterns, plants and animals. In the centre there was a stove roaring with fire, old couches strewn with crochet blankets and quilts, bookcases. LED Christmas coloured lights hung from the ceiling. It was homely, welcoming. Marley gestured for the girls to take a seat.

'Come in, get comfy, let's get to know one another a little bit better.'

He took a seat and slapped his hands on his knees, 'Now we're a collective of men from the New Mexico area, we have a few Texans here too, myself being one of them.' He winked. 'All of us were lone wolves in some way or another after the pandemics. Here we've found community, a brotherhood. We hunt and fish, grow what we can, since the weather's warmed up it's been a lot easier.'