V

The smell of fresh herbs and goat butter drifted into the bedroom, waking Orlie up. She was absolutely covered in sweat, Queenie still sleeping softly beside her. The sun was high in the sky, they'd slept late into the afternoon.

'God what a horrible dream,' Orlie quietly muttered.

She heard chatter downstairs. She lifted her head, delicately unfurled herself from Queenie and sat up. A slight mumble came from behind her, then she felt Queenie's arms wrapping around her waist again. She turned to look at her, Queenie's eyes were still shut but a sly smile had spread across her face.

Orlie could hear Greg's laugh coming from the living room, 'Oh they're here already,' she said.

Queenie slowly made her way up, 'Who?' she asked.

'Greg and Thomas, they grew up in Kansas too. There are a few families in this area, maybe half a dozen. The others live about a two-hour's walk, we don't see them often. But the boys come by all the time. They're just a half hour east. Thomas is my age, Greg's a little younger. They're like brothers, best friends, well, my only friends. They'll definitely help with the bike.'

Orlie slid her fingers through Queenies bouncy brown curls, her green eyes shone bright in the afternoon sunlight.

'Well I can't wait to meet them,' Queenie said.

Orlie got up and headed to the closet. She opened the door revealing a colourful array of garments she'd collected over the years. Queenie came up behind her.

'Now this,' she gawked, 'Is something else entirely.'

All of the clothes fascinated Queenie. She fingered through the dozens of dresses, shirts and blazers, eyes glimmering.

'Half of this at some point belonged to my nan,' said Orlie, as she rummaged through.

Queenie pulled out a pastel, rosy spaghetti strap dress and eyed her.

Orlie laughed, 'I found that years ago, I've never had an excuse to dress up.'

'Today's the day.'

The girls got changed and Queenie tied Orlie's dreadlocks into an exquisite French braid. She looked in the mirror and felt truly beautiful. Her cheeks were blush from passion. The dress fit perfectly and her new necklace shimmered in the centre of her collarbone, matching the shade. She loved how the stone felt against her skin.

Queenie had put on a simple white sundress, but on her, it looked magnificent. She grabbed a small vial of oil from her bag.

'Essence of sweet pea,' she said, dabbing a little on Orlie's wrist.

It smelled like candy, 'I could lick that right off.'

The girls headed downstairs to see the living room rearranged. Everything had been shifted off to one side, except for the table and chairs in the centre. Greg and Thomas were mingling with Orlie's parents. Two bright red heads, eagerly chatting, asking about the strange bike parked outside. It took them a moment to notice Orlie and Queenie had come down.

Orlie's parents were eager to introduce Queenie to the boys after telling them about their grand adventure last night into the woods.

Thomas quickly found an excuse to pull Orlie aside, 'That girl, she's so...'

'I know.'

'But she's just...'

'I know,' repeated Orlie.

'She slept in your room? You're positive she's not sick? Did you share the bed?' a mischievous smile spread across his lips as he asked the last question.