[01]

melody

+

On the way out of my room, I adjusted the frame on my bedside table. I smiled at the picture. The trio of friends, always bickering but equally as supportive. Lydia and Allison had a copy of the same photo in their rooms too, and every single day I looked at it, I missed Allison even more. It had been only a few days, almost a week without her, and I've got to say, Lydia and I had some trouble walking in the hallways at school.

I kissed my fingers and touched the glass.

"Melody, are you ready?" Scott asked from downstairs.

I pushed the frame back in place and made my way downstairs, "Yeah." I said.

Mom stood in front of us with two plates of food in her hands. "Nope, not until you eat."

Scott groaned, but I took the plate from her hand and dug in. "Wow, mom, bacon, toast, and eggs. What do you want?" I said, mimicking what she would have told us if we had done this for her.

She chuckled, "Nothing, I just thought I'd make you both something for breakfast before I went to work."

"You're coming home late again aren't you?" Scott said her.

"Yes." She said. This time, we both groaned. "Sorry, but it's not a vacation, it's a job. Also, because I'm coming home late, Scott, I want Mel to go home with you after school. You can both go out, but it's either together if you're going with Stiles or don't go out at all."

I heard Scott laugh from behind me as I complained, "Mom, that's not fair. If it were Scott, you'd let him go."

"But Scott isn't the one dating Stiles is he?"

I crossed my arms, "You never know. Maybe Scott is secretly gay and likes Stiles."

"I'm not gay," Scott exclaimed from where he was standing.

Our mom put her hands on her hips and looked at me. "Two hours only. Scott is going with you and don't argue with me or you won't go at all."

"Thank you," I said.

Scott closed the door and we walked on the sidewalk. We waited for Stiles. "Happy now?" Scott asked me.

"Define happy," I said, with an amused smile on my face. Scott walked ahead of me, shaking his head with disapproval.

Not five minutes later Stiles parked on the side of the street. He rolled down the windows and said, "Sorry, I don't normally pick up hitch-hikers."

I opened the door and climbed into the back of the jeep. Before I did though, he kissed my lips briefly. Our actions were interrupted when Scott cleared his throat and slammed the door beside him. "This is disgusting."

"You're disgusting" I quipped, leaning my back against the seat.

"You're a child."

+

We walked down the hallway in Beacon Hills High School. For the first time since I returned, things felt calm. There were no more Alpha packs to fight, no more Nogitsunes to rap in triskele urns. I didn't have to worry anymore. I had time to reflect on my mistakes and get better. I've tried so hard to be stronger than before. I wasn't strong. I know that now. I will never be the strong person Allison was. I will never be anything compared to her.

I am tough, but I'm not strong enough to be fearless. Still, I'm amazed at how everyone has survived this all. I remember the first time Scott had told me he was a werewolf. He told me I had taken it too well to believe, but to me, everything just fell into place.