Hayley slams on her brakes as we close in on the traffic up ahead. We come to a complete stop. This is the longest quarter mile ever. I begin to shake my leg up and down as I watch another plane take off. My heart drops every time, thinking it's Demi's plane. I can't take this anymore. I unlock the door and get out.

"Ellie, what are you doing?" She asks fearful.

I look at the departing plane then back at Hayley. "I'm going to get my girl." I say, shutting her car door with force. I hold my phone and wallet in my hand as I run down the street, swerving in between cars. The adrenaline rush pairs with my hangover headache, making me feel a little dizzy. Please don't throw up. Please don't throw up. I take a few deep breaths, in through my nose, out through my mouth. I'm almost there. My calves are on fire and my knees want to give out, but I keep on running. I maneuver between people and bags, reading the screen of departing flights. Terminal B. I run up to the ticket counter, cutting a few people in line.

I throw my credit card and license on the counter. "I need a one way ticket to Vancouver." I say, panting, out of breath.

The lady types away on her computer. "I'm sorry, that flight is all booked. We have another one departing at eleven o'clock tonight." She suggests.

This is the boarding call for flight 815 to Vancouver. Passengers, please make your way to gate 12. We are now boarding group A and B.

My heart begins to race. That's Demi's flight. I'm not going to make it. "Give me any one way ticket for a plane departing near gate 12!" I demand.

Reluctantly, the lady agrees, handing me my credit card, license and ticket. Without looking at the destination, I take it and run.

"Excuse me. Sorry. Coming through. Excuse me." I say to each person I brush past as I run up the escalator.

This is the boarding call for flight 815 to Vancouver. Passengers, please make your way to gate 12. We are now boarding all groups.

I make my way to security, anxiously trying to find the shortest line. I bounce up and down, not being able to control my nerves. I'm instructed to take my shoes off, which I do frantically. My eyes are scanning the room, hoping by some miracle Demi is also going through security. Knowing her, she's probably wearing sunglasses and a hoodie, clutching at her pillow.

Two people ahead of me.

This is the final boarding call for flight 815 to Vancouver. Passengers, please make your way to gate 12. Final boarding call.

No. This can't be happening. I'm so close. I walk through the metal detector. When I'm cleared, I grab my shoes, wallet and phone, not bothering to put on my shoes. I run down the hallway. A crowd begins to form on either side as two gates are deplaning. I'm caught between dozens of people walking in the opposite direction as me, slowing me down. I trip over a few luggage bags, not bothering to apologize. Gate 12, all the way at the end of the terminal. I'm out of breath, but somehow still running. The final person in line just walked through the door, disappearing behind the wall. I pick up my pace as best as I can, dodging a rollaway luggage bag and elderly couple. I watch as the flight attendant waves goodbye to the employee at the counter before grabbing the door handle and closing the gate shut.

"No, wait!" I scream, waving my ticket in the air, hoping they'd think I'm a passenger on the plane and will stop it for me. I finally make it to gate 12, out of breath. I rest my hands on my knees as I try to catch my breath.

"Sorry, ma'am, this flight is all booked up. Everyone is accounted for. Are you sure you have the right gate number?" She asks in a southern accent.