Chapter 29: Ulna

"Hurry, guys, hurry!" Lucy semi-hissed as she practically dragged her sisters through the streets of Crocus. "We don't have time to waste! The first challenge starts in-" she paused, gasping. "Half an hour!!"

Upon finishing her sentence, Lucy summoned a glowing gold portal and threw -- yes, threw, very barbarically -- Levy, Mira, Kagura, and Yukino through. Mavis, who had recovered, shakily stepped through.

Let's elaborate on what happened. A few hors ago, their dragon senses had been tingling -- which usually meant someone, someplace, or something needed saving.

Following it, they arrived at a cliff that overlooked the ocean. Hanging from a rope that looked like it was seconds from snapping, was a little girl. Probably only five or six years old. All around her, there were countless hordes of big, burly men, all sporting one magic item or another.

Fortunately and unsurprisingly, they weren't alone. By the looks of it, the Fateium had arrived just a while earlier than they and were fighting the -- most probably, the dark guild.

Her lips had curled as she bit back a snarl. Lucy was not pleased to have to work together -- even if it was voluntarily... ish... -- with the Fateium. Or more specifically, Natsu Dragneel and co. And judging from the looks of the faces of both -- the Eternalis and the Fateium -- the feeling was mutual.

"I'll take care of the girl." Lucy had whispered, and upon the nods of her sisters, shot off.

She opened a glowing gold portal and jumped through. Landing on the other side, she found herself crouched on the sand next to the little girl.

Time seemed to freeze the blonde studied her features.

Oh. Time actually did freeze. Unfortunately for the dark guild, the Eternalis and the Fateium weren't hindered by this. Their movements were as agile as ever, and their attacks powerful enough to overwhelm an army. Lucy had to give it to them for being able to stand up to the god/goddess-level powers the Eternalis and the Fateium possessed. But then again, they weren't wounded much, except for some scrapes and the occasional bruise, while the massive army of evil mages was being cut down like paper. Strength in numbers.

Anyways, back to the girl's features. She had big, honey-gold-brown eyes like those of Lucy, but her hair was a cute, girlish shade of pink that resembled... Natsu Dragneel's.

'Aww,' the elemental goddess had thought. 'She's so cute!'

Shaking herself out of her reverie, Lucy picked up the girl, only to feel something hard sink into her back. Immediately, she opened a portal and jumped through with the little girl in her arms.

When she landed on the other side, she collapsed. A stab wound would've been nothing for Lucy, but that specific blade had felt like it had some dark magic on it.

Looking around, she saw that the evil army had been demolished with minor injuries on their side, except the fact that everyone was exhausted and had all passed out. Except Natsu Dragneel.

"What? Take a picture, it'll last longer." His words were accompanied by a snarl, revealing his sharp canines.

Definitely not nice.

Huh? When had the extremely dense numbskull Natsu Dragneel turned into a arrogant little prick?

"Seriously, Natsu Dragneel? If I wanted a b****, I would've bought a dog." Lucy's voice was like ice, but she too, revealed her canines. Not in the way Natsu did, but more like in a cross-me-and-I-will-reveal-your-secrets-to-the-world way, while Natsu's insult was said in a make-me-mad-and-I'll-kill-you-way.

Turning to the frightened little girl beside her, she opened her mouth to speak but was cut off by the girl.

"It's... Ulna. My name's Ulna."

Nodding, Lucy questioned the girl softly again. Only this time, it was more of a statement.

"I'm gonna rest for a bit, okay?"

As she saw -- out of the corner of her eye -- that Natsu was putting up a forcefield around the Fateium, she followed suit and put one up around the Eternalis as when. When she did so, she saw a timid nod from the little girl before she leaned on the older girl beside her and her soft snores blended with the crashing waves.

The elemental goddess smiled, and wrapped an arm around Ulna before she too, fell to the land of slumber.

--

Natsu watched the Eternalis from a bit away. He didn't feel reassured with just the forcefield protecting the Fateium, and had decided to stay up and keep watch.

He then shifted his gaze to the other forcefield a few feet away where the five Eternalis were sleeping. Oh, and the little girl, Ulna. He didn't trust the Eternalis, with the rivalry and all. And their unnamed leader, who seemed to hate him.

He bit his tongue, his sharp canines drawing blood. Though his conscious told him to be wary of the Eternalis, his subconscious just wouldn't shut up about how... nice he felt talking with their leader.

Around her -- he assumed she was a girl, judging from her voice, but one could never be sure -- the elemental god felt secure, safe, and... warm and fluffy inside, a feeling he hadn't experienced in three years... since the day Lucy died.

Argh! He couldn't think about that now! The GMG's were starting tonight, and he didn't have the opportunity to get distracted. Though... none of the other guild were a match for the Fateium..... except...

the Eternalis.

--

Who do you think Ulna is?