Chapter Forty-Eight: I Do

Start from the beginning

Argh! Now she really wished she had actually been there.

Silvia was distracted long enough for Clark to pull something out of the fridge. Once this task had been completed he noticed the dazed look on his girlfriends face and cleared his throat. Nothing. She didn't react to it at all. Clark frowned and tried again, a little louder this time, and Silvia jumped back into reality.

"Oh, sorry... Did you say something?" Silvia asked sheepishly.

"Luckily not." Clark stepped closer to her with a grin stuck on his face. He directed towards the item in his hands and Silvia finally turned her attention to it. "I was just about to celebrate your new position."

Silvery eyes fell to the box balancing on Clark's palms, inside was a cake... but not just any cake. It was made entirely of ice-cream. It brought back fond memories of their first official date.

Silvia bit her lip to hold in the giggle that had started to form in her throat. It made a buzzing sound but was never permitted to leave her lips. The cake was one of the brands that parents brought their children for birthday parties. The ones with Superheroes and princesses on it. This, fittingly, sported a Justice League design... despite the fact that it only presented the three most popular members and discluded the rest.

This meant that Superman was in the middle, chest out and grin draped across his face. Wonder Woman was on his right, proud, tall, and holding the lasso of truth beneath her long fingers. Silvia looked to the left, expecting to see the bat that she despised but only found the symbol. It said 'Batman' but the fondue image of him was nowhere to be found.

"I took the liberty of removing Bruce. I'm sure you don't want to see him during the celebration... even in cake form." Clark answered as if he had read her mind. He knew her so well that sometimes it felt like he could.

Silvia beamed up at her boyfriend. Eyes sparkling in a way that only happened when she, or in this case Clark, did something that would annoy Batman if he found out. The man exhaled heavily but kept his smile plastered on. Usually he wouldn't encourage her dislike for Batman, but today was more about her than anyone else. He could let it slide.

"You're wonderful." Silvia sighed in awe, and suddenly ripping Bruce's face off of things didn't seem so bad to him. At least, not if it was going to elicit this kind of reaction from her. "Can I get the slice with your crotch on it? I'm getting really hungry!"

"You know, asking a man to cut his own crotch off probably isn't the way to get what you want." Clark teased, stepping back to slide the box into the fridge. "Besides, I've decided to take you out tonight. We can have the dessert when we come back. And no, before you ask, you don't need to wear a dress but you'll feel very out of place if you don't."

Silvia watched the cake disappear into that cold, cruel food prison and felt her whole posture droop. She made a noise that sounded a lot like a groan, but also a whine. It only increased in volume at the stern look Clark was giving her. She knew when she could talk her way out of something... and this she couldn't.

The blonde didn't exactly verbalise her agreement, but the fact that she quickly turned and walked into the bedroom implied that she wasn't going to argue against it.

While waiting Clark turned on the television. It was more out of habit than any desire to actually watch it. He kept it on the same channel that coloured his screen, it was a talkshow with four people sitting around a large table. Ironically, they were discussing Superheroes. More specifically, the public's favourite Heroes.