Chapter Thirty-One: Love Through Strife

The world around her slowly spiralled back into view

The world around her slowly spiralled back into view. The room was white with lights that glared blindingly down at her. Silvia's index finger twitched to life at her side, the sheets beneath it much softer than her own. This was the first sign that she wasn't home.

The second happened just moments later when she rolled groggily to her side. A window came into view, and on the other side was the empty vacuum of space.

Silvia's eyes widened and her lungs contracted beneath her ribs. Fear sat in her gut so heavily that she barely recognised her own scream.

"You're alright. Calm down. You've been unconscious for the last five hours." A low, droning and raspy voice said to her.

Silvia turned away from the window and saw Bruce Wayne, unmasked but clad in his bat suit as he tinkered with some pieces of medical equipement.

"W-We're...in space..."

Bruce ignored her and continued eyeing the console by his side. "Kryptonite adversely affects human physiology at a gradual rate...but it seems that your cells regenerate so quickly that you're clean..." He muttered.

Silvia's lip quivered as she whispered "Where's Clark...?"

"...He's busy." Bruce leant over to Silvia, holding a stethoscope. "Breathe."

Her breathing was so ragged and horrible that Bruce simply sighed in defeat, stood straight and crossed his arms. He then pressed a finger to his ear and spoke "She's awake. You can come in now."

Silvia was still petrified that she was in Earth's orbit. She could barely bring herself to say anything. "Is he alright...?"

"He'll be fine. He's been through worse." Bruce answered, a hint of calm in his cold voice. With that, he quickly strode to the door and left without a word.

Seconds later, a much more tolerable person took his place. "Silvia? How're you doing?" Nightwing eagerly asked, jogging into the room and peeling the black domino mask from his face. "I came as soon as I heard."

"W-We're in space... I-I...wanna go home. Can I see Clark?"

Dick laid a hand onto Silvia's shoulder as he propped himself onto the side of her bed. "Easy there. There's a runaway comet heading towards Earth that NASA phoned in about. You know Clark...he's as stubborn as anything when he knows he can help. He's out there pushing it off course right now."

"But...that...robot guy...he was hurting him..."

"Yeah, Metallo runs on kryptonite...it's like poison to him. He was a little more powerful this time though, apparently he had the DNA of Kryptonians embedded in him." Dick's gaze fell to the jewel around her neck. "Bruce told him to rest, but yeah. Like I said, you know Clark."