home // pp

you and peter are older in this imagine. married, and have a four year old daughter, named Libby

You hadn't spoken to Peter for a whole six months. Libby started to miss him a lot after a month. She kept asking you where her father was and if he would be home soon. All you could answer with, was "I don't know, baby,"

You knew it would be a long mission, but not six months long. Your house didn't feel like home anymore. Not without him. Peter wasn't allowed to contact you during the mission for your safety, nor could he tell you where he was going or how long the mission would be. Mostly because he didn't know either.

By now, you were having doubts on if he would come home at all. Peter had done a lot of things that were hard. But staying away from his family for this long, and not being able to contact them was the hardest thing he had ever gone through. Not being able to hear his wife's or his child's voice would break him. And it almost did.

But, today, you had to be strong. Today was Libby's birthday. And nothing could keep you from giving her a great birthday.

"Do you want your cake first or do you want real food first?" You asked as you set her down on a barstool at the island in the kitchen. She smiled, her face filled with glee.

"Cake, please!" She chimed, her slight lisp making you smile right back at her.

"Of course, princess," You turned around to get her small, dome-shaped cake out of the refrigerator. Holding the cake in one hand, you opened the drawer next to the fridge and pulled out five, rainbow candles. You placed the pink-frosted cake before her on the marble counter, her rich brown eyes lighting up. She has his eyes.

You placed all five candles in the top of the cake. She clapped her small, chubby hands in excitement. Everything she did reminded you of him. You choked back tears as you grabbed the lighter from the tall cabinets next to the fridge. You let a small, quiet sob escape your mouth. Libby didn't hear it. She only asked,

"Will daddy be home soon?"

You wiped a tear from your cheek and took a deep breath before speaking.

"I don't know, sweetie," You turned back to her. Her smile had faded into a frown. You hated that. Despite your sadness, you put on another comforting smile.

"Don't worry about him, baby," You began to light her candles, one by one. "Nothing could keep him from coming home, you know that,"

She eyed the candles, a small smile forming on her face again. You walked over to the wall near the doorway to the living room and turned the lights out. You sat down in the barstool next to her.

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you," Her smile grew. "Happy birthday, dear Libby, happy birthday to you," You sniffled. He really was going to miss Libby's birthday.

She hesitated. "Go on," You nudged her. She giggled and blew out the candles with all her might.

"Yay, Libby!" You cheered, clapping your hands. You stood up to go turn on the lights. As soon as they came back on, she was practically jumping in her seat, excited to eat her cake.

"What did you wish for?" You asked her, grabbing a butter knife to cut up the cake.

"For daddy to come home," Your heart sank as you were picking out the candles. You didn't say anything, and the room fell quiet. You put the candles in the sink. You looked back at her, eyeing the cake. The jingling of keys behind the front door broke the silence. Her eyes perked up.

"Is that daddy?" You didn't respond. She hopped down from her seat and ran out of the kitchen and into the living room, where the door was. You followed slowly behind her, not believing what you were hearing. The heavy door finally opened, revealing him.

"Daddy!" Libby squealed. He closed the door behind him and sank down to her height, engulfing her in his arms. You could see tears form in his eyes as he dropped to his knees, still holding her in his arms.

"Oh, Libby," He sniffled softly in her shoulder. You leaned on the doorway and watched them, bringing your hand up to your mouth.

"Daddy missed you so much," He cried, breathing heavily.

"I missed you too, daddy," You heard her small voice say. He stood back up, not letting Libby out of his grasp. That's when he spotted you, your tear stained cheeks a bright red. The look in his eyes crushed you. He trudged towards you, Libby still in his arms. He wrapped one strong arm around you, tangling his fingers in your hair. You wrapped your arms around both him and Libby, desperate to touch him again.

You finally felt happy again. You finally felt at home.