Chapter 18

Ana grew bored after three days of being there. Ivan would visit her sometimes, bringing food and attempting to tell her his "tragic backstory." Ana tuned him out after his first visit – he droned on anyway. Today was her fourth day of captivity. She'd gone with the Little Red Riding Hood costume today. It was one of the less revealing options, and she had a feeling Taito was close. Ivan must have sensed it too, because he summoned her to the throne room around noon. He had his goons force her to her knees as soon as she stepped into the room. She glared daggers at him, making him chuckle. He tilted her chin up, inching closer.

"Such a shame we had to meet under these circumstances my dear." He forced a kiss on her and punched her in the gut so her mouth opened in a gasp. He took advantage, and Ana felt herself swallow. He pulled back and the henchmen released her. She grabbed her throat and stared at him accusingly.

"What did you do?!" He smirked and walked back to his throne, stretching lazily before sitting down, looking much too pleased with himself. Everyone in the room held their breaths, waiting to see what would happen next. Ana locked eyes with Ivan, about to open her mouth to demand an answer, when she noticed the changes in her body. It started in her toes first, slowly spreading up from there. The numbness crept up her body, holding it like a vice. Eyes wide, she could only continue to stare as her body slumped to the side. Her brain was next, wiping clean like a whiteboard at the end of a school day. Her eyes dulled, showing the transformation was complete. After a few moments she blinked, confused, and looked around struggling to gain control of her limbs. Ana took a few deep breaths, slowly pushing herself into a sitting position before addressing the other occupants in the room.

"Where am I? Who are you?" Ivan meanwhile could barely contain his glee at the turn of events. He hadn't been sure if his serum would work, but judging by the last few minutes he had been largely successful. And just in time too. I almost didn't complete it in time. His amusement grew when he noticed her eyes kept shifting to the door. Looks like all her memories weren't erased. Good. It wouldn't be fun otherwise. That bite mark should help the game along too. Poor Ana; she'll be attracted to a man and have no idea why. Her mind had forgotten, but her body knew when her mate was close. He cleared his throat and beckoned her forward.

"Now dear, don't tell me you forgot about me. We're about to be married after all." He had her sit in the throne next to his, kissing her hand and holding up a breathtaking diamond and sapphire ring. "You even left your ring in our room. You've got to stop being so distracted, love." Ana examined the ring once he slipped it on, turning it this way and that.

"Sorry, I must really be out of it if I can't remember any of this." Her gaze again slid to the door, but she wasn't sure what she was hoping for. There was a fog that clouded her mind. She felt like she was forgetting something important, but what that was she didn't know. "Why don't I remember you if we've known each other long enough to get married?" She looked at him skeptically, and he nodded, lacing their fingers.

"You were in a terrible accident a few days ago. There were no serious injuries other than a concussion. The doctors warned me of the possibility of amnesia. You should regain your memories in due time." The lie was smooth as it fell from his lips. She nodded, seemingly appeased by that answer. He stood and pulled her with him, releasing her to caress her face. He leaned down, tilting her chin up. Ana stood passively, believing it was fine even as disgust flooded her system. The distance continued to close between, and just as their lips were about to touch, the doors burst open. The last player had arrived.

So? What do you think? Poor Ana can't catch a break and now she's been essentially brainwashed! Just who is the last player? Are they alone? Until next time my wonderful readers! Have a great rest of the week and a safe weekend!