Chapter 5

Ana's days blended together into months, then years as the experiments continued. She could hide for longer periods, but Tony always found her in the end. She knew it was ultimately because of her scent. There was nothing to mask it with, so running through different parts of the forest before selecting a hiding spot only delayed the inevitable. Every time she was caught they brought her back down to her cell, allowing her a small break to eat, rehydrate, and catch her breath.

It was one such night, Ana lying awake as she leaned against the wall. She didn't know what had woken her, but now she was alert. Tony and Calvin had finished earlier, leaving her to her own devices for the rest of the night. She hummed to herself, even as the hairs on the back of her neck began to rise. Her body was aware of something her mind hadn't realized yet, and when Ana realized she had curled further into the shadows and ceased humming, her body poised to strike, she became more alert and on edge than ever before. She waited in the darkness with baited breath, eyes darting from her trapped hands to the cell door. An explosion soon rocked the house, followed by shouting and snarling. Ana didn't know whether she should call out or remain silent, deciding on the latter since the new people could be just as dangerous if not more so than Calvin and Tony. Snarls and growls continued to rip through the building before she heard two screams of agony. Ana shut her eyes and curled further in on herself until both abruptly cut off. Voices now echoed through the house, and she heard footsteps approaching her cell. Ana inhaled sharply before straightening, not wanting these strangers to see her fear. She held her breath and squinted as a flashlight suddenly shone in her face.

"Alpha, we have a girl down here!" Ana blinked and looked away from the light. Suddenly a strong, commanding voice rang out.

"MINE!" Ana stoppedbreathing.