Chapter Ten

The dance ended after the King and Queen dance, and they played some fast song as we all piled out.

"You guys! You got the crowns!" Evie squealed.

I blushed and Jay smiled hugely.

"Yeah! We did!" He gushed.

"Congrats guys! You guys deserve it!" Ben slapped a hand on Jay's back.

"You ready to head back to your room, Erin?" Carlos asked.

"As ready as I'll ever be!" I adjusted the crown on my head.

"Want me to escort you?" Jay asked.

"I would, but I think I should probably catch up with Audrey and walk with her," I rubbed my arm, "Thank you all for a fantastic night though! Without you guys, tonight would've been awful."

"No problem! Will we see you tomorrow?" Evie asked.

"Of course!" I smiled, "I have Tourney practice tomorrow evening though."

"Tourney? Don't you mean cheerleading?" Ben asked.

"Nope, she means Tourney!" Jay smiled and took my hand.

He seemed to love doing that. Maybe it's a comfort thing?

Ben looked shocked at Jay, but then smiled at me, "That's great! Come a bit early and we can get you set up with gear and a jersey!"

"I will!" I smiled back, "But I really need to go find Audrey. Goodnight guys!"

There was a resounding 'goodnight, Erin!" from the group, and I ran off to find Audrey. Mostly everyone had filed out, but I hoped to find Audrey and Chad just outside the gym. I ran outside and looked around, hoping to locate the hot pink silhouette that was Audrey. I then noticed her and Chad standing under a light post, looking around. I assumed in hopes they would find me.

"Audrey!" I yelled.

She looked over and I waved to catch her attention. We locked eyes.

"Erin!" She yelled back and waved me over with her hand.

I ran over to her and Chad, "Hey! You guys waited for me?"

"We did! I figured you might wanna walk back to your room with, you know, your roommate," She sounded a little bitter.

"I did!" I smiled at her anyway.

We began walking in silence for a bit. Then Chad spoke up, "Nice crown."

I blushed and looked down, "Oh, uh, thanks."

"I always said you had the right features to suit a crown. I guess I was right," Audrey looked over my face and the crown and then looked away.

"I can't believe that loser kid got king! That was supposed to me!" Chad folded his arms.

"They didn't know what they were doing when they voted, but at least Erin voted for us," She looked at me, "Right?"

"Oh, of course! Who else?" What she didn't know wouldn't hurt her.

"That makes me feel a little better I guess," She shrugged, "I can't believe you won over me, though. No offense."

"None taken," All taken.

"But I suppose if I couldn't win, I'm glad it was you and not that Mal," The bitterness in her voice got worse.

I just nodded, not saying anything.

"So, Erin," Chad looked me over, "What's with the costume? I know you said you just needed a change in front of the others, but you don't have to lie to us."