Chapter 28

~Asher's POV~

I wasn't the best at interpreting emotions, but even I could see there was something up. Early in the morning, they started acting strangely. Fallon wasn't normal hyperactive self and Riley was unusually silent for the majority of breakfast. There was a chance that I was wrong so I pulled Kade to ask what he thought.

"Really? I don't think they're acting that strange." 

I sighed, giving him an annoyed look. Either he was very dense or lying. 

"Hey, hey. Don't look at me like that. They're probably just tired. Kids have rough days too."

He patted my head before going back to finish eating. Though he was right that everyone has a bad day once in a while, I knew this was different. Call it a parent's intuition---something I was starting to wonder if Kade lacked---but there was something going on. 

So here I was, sneaking around trying to follow a couple of kids in a forest and I had no clue where they were heading.

A part of me was slightly embarrassed about what I was doing, I mean, I was technically an adult and playing detective was a bit childish. I probably should've just came out and asked what was wrong. They wouldn't have told me, but at least I would've exhausted all other options. To make things worse, I even stayed in human form even though it wasn't as useful. I wasn't too worried though since they did as well.

Straining my ears, I tried to pick up what they were saying.

"It's got to be around here somewhere," Riley grumbled, turning in a circle.

"Yeah, they said it was this way. Plus, we saw them take him in this direction." Fallon kicked up some leaves, "What if it's a bunker? Like it the movies. There might be a trap door."

Riley thought about it for a second, "You might be right. Let's keep a look out for one."

They started walking again, their eyes trained on the ground as they searched for this "trap door." I felt uneasy, but I couldn't give myself away yet. I didn't know everything yet and if I dragged them home they would just come back. 

Who were they talking about? Before I could think about it, Fallon pointed.

"Hey! There's a shed over there!"

"Shh, we might get heard." Fallon instantly went silent and I chuckled. If there was anybody else here they probably did hear them. They were mature beyond their years but they were still kids at heart. 

Riley reached for Fallon's hand, leading him, "Come on. We're going to do what we said, right?"

"Y-yeah..." My heartbeat picked up speed at the flight fear in his voice. What were they going to do? 

Riley kneeled in front of him, giving him a smile, "Don't worry. He can't get to us anymore, remember? He's locked away."

Even though she looked calm on the outside for Fallon, I could see she was just as scared. I had a feeling in my stomach that I wasn't going to like what they were about to do. I could tell it was important to them though. Against my protective instincts, I let them proceed. 

They walked past a dense group of trees, a small shed coming into sight. It was a simple structure, nice and clean looking. Surprisingly, the door swung open with just a push. They looked at each other before going in. Waiting a moment to let them go ahead, I rushed over, spotting an open trap door---just like they'd mused---that opened to a set of stairs. Stepping down silently, I listened to make sure I wouldn't run into them. When they were far enough away, I descended the rest of the steps.