Chapter 9

Fallon in human form^

~Kade's POV~

It was mind blowing. The feeling of my mate's mind connecting with my own was something I would never forget. I had waited, my body trembling in anticipation, for Asher to come to me, as I knew---hoped---he would.

Every new member that joined a pack made it grow stronger not only in body but also in mind. I knew every member could feel it, no matter the distance. Their bodies would tingle with renewed strength; muscles quivering with the need to run, to howl. I felt it too. All I wanted was to feel the wind whip through my fur as I ran alongside my pack mates, as I ran alongside Asher.

It was almost too much, having already had Riley connect with Fallon right after her, but now, with Asher, I felt invincible.

I called out softly, as to not frighten him when I felt his mind brush against the outskirts of my own. I patiently waited for his reply, not knowing if I would even get one.

I watched him as I waited, not caring if I was staring; not caring that the others saw. They knew what he was to me even if he himself did not. Oh, but I would show him. I planned to express what I felt in everything I did for him. I wanted to cook for him, to sleep beside him, to tell him that he was my everything. That would all come in time. For now, I just wanted to simply hear his voice.

He had his eyes closed and his brows were furrowed. I knew he was debating whether or not to reply. If he didn't, I wouldn't be mad. I would wait as long as it takes for him to accept me. He was worth it. I opened my mouth, about to tell him so out loud, when I suddenly found myself locked with his gorgeous blue gaze.

And then I heard him for the first time:

Hello.

It was a simple greeting, just a single word, but to me, it was so much more. Everything faded away as the effects of his voice rolled through me. It was embarrassing just how much his voice could affect me.

His eyes lingered on mine for another moment. I thought I saw something flicker in them but it was gone a second later as he turned to the others, uttering the same greeting. Though his attention was somewhere else, he didn't pull his mind away from mine like I thought he would. The connection was small but comfortable, warming my heart.

Asher didn't speak much after that except to fill in when the other two couldn't answer a question.

'We don't know ' and 'we can't remember' were common responses. They were hiding things, we all could tell, but no one called them out on it. I didn't know what they went through, but they were here now---Asher was here---and we would accept and protect them.

"Why don't we move this to a more comfortable location? Kade, would you mind taking them to the family room?" I jumped as Eric spoke, reminding me that there were other things to focus on.

I nodded, moving towards the door that connected the garage to the rest of the house, and looked over my shoulder. Asher's eyes stared into mine even as he moved to follow. I felt my cheeks heat up and my heartbeat quicken as I motioned for the others to do the same.

I pointed out rooms, giving directions to the ones we didn't pass, as we moved through the house. Many of them were just extra bedrooms, but I could tell they appreciated the information. They relaxed a bit as they walked behind me, Riley and Fallon asking a question from time to time. Though Asher stayed silent, he still listened intently.

If you have any questions you can come to me. He paused mid-step, almost making Fallon run into him.

...I will keep that in mind. He said simply, resuming his pace. I felt a grin appear as we reached the family room, glad he didn't say no. It was a victory, a small one, but a victory nonetheless.