I slipped on a shirt before opening the door, still giggling. She just looked at me weirdly, and I shook my head in amusement. “Kody, I was singing ‘Under the Sea’ from The Little Mermaid.”

                “Are you sure? From that last part I heard…” This just caused me to burst into another round of laughter, and soon Kody was joining me.

                “Yes, I’m positive,” I told her as we descended the steps. Marcy was waiting for us at the bottom, glaring up at us with her brown eyes behind those black rimmed glasses.

                “Took you long enough,” she grumbled, carefully marking a page the book she was reading as she swept her brown hair to one side.

                “Sorry, I overslept,” I apologized, grinning at her. She rolled her eyes, but followed Kody and I as we made our way outside.

                Kody walked to her silver Toyota, climbing into the driver’s seat. I followed suit, calling shotgun, to which Marcy rolled her eyes once more.

                I wasn’t even quite sure why Marcy put up with Kody and I. We were both total goofs, and average in grades whereas Marcy was one of the smartest people in our grade. She was also more serious for the most part, yet when we all met freshman year we just clicked. We’ve been inseparable ever since, closer than sisters.

                Kody turned on the radio, and “Happy” by Pharrell Williams began to blast through the car as she backed out of the driveway.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

                Soon enough, Kody parked the car in front of Peaches and we piled out.

                “No way, did they really do that?” I nodded grimly, and Kody looked absolutely furious. “They can’t just take away your college fund! That’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard of doing for a stupid competition!”

                “I agree, your parents must really be serious about this. Is that why we’re here today?”

                I nodded again, turning towards Marcy. “Yup, they want me to spy on them, and find out what they’re doing for their syrup this year.”

                “Is that like.. cheating?” Kody asked quizzically, her anger beginning to simmer down.  

                I shrugged, “Probably. It’s not like they care though, they just want to win.”

                We walked in, immediately feeling the warmth and home-y feeling of the place. Decorated in a simple manner, Peaches had walls the color of apricot, covered in various pictures. Our shoes squeaked slightly on the black and white tiled floors as we entered.

                “Hi, welcome to Peaches, how many?” a girl asked in a happy tone when we approached her. She didn’t look too much older than us.

                “Three,” Marcy replied, and the girl nodded before motioning for us to follow. She lead us to a booth, and handed us the menus as we sat down.

                “A waiter will be right with you.” She smiled cheerily before going to help the next customer.

                “She’s way too happy,” Kody grumbled, and I suppressed a chuckle whilst rolling my eyes.

                I scanned the menu for a bit, before deciding on just regular pancakes. Can’t really go wrong with that.

                Content with what I was going to order, I looked up to see Kody and Marcy just about finished too.