02

Riley’s POV

                “FIRE! Fire! Wake up Riley, let’s go!”

                Nails dug into my shoulder blades as I was hoisted into a sitting position, shrill yells drumming against my ears.

                It took a couple seconds to register what was happening, everything seeming like a muddled mess. Then I realized the key word; fire.

                I tried to scramble off my bed to run to my door, but only managed to entangle my legs within my sheets. The half of my body that wasn’t caught tumbled off the bed, my arms shooting out to catch myself before I hit my head.

                I looked at the carpet, only a few inches away from my face. With a groan, I kicked the sheets away from my legs, simultaneously using my arms to pull me off the bed. My legs landed with a soft thud on the floor, muffled by the plush carpet.

                Hurriedly, I forced myself to my feet and was about halfway to the door when laughter sounded behind me.

                I stopped mid-step, and pivoted to see Kody laughing like a hyena on my bed. She was lying on her back, head thrown back and hands clutching her stomach as if it was the funniest thing in the world.

                I scowled, realizing that I had been tricked. There were no flames nor stench of smoke.

                It only took a second for me to come up with a plan for revenge. As she was distracted, I grasped the smooth blanket in my hands, then yanking with all my strength.

                She came toppling to the ground, a look of surprise overtaking her features as she landed with a clunk.

                She stood up and narrowed her blue eyes at me, glaring. Then she rubbed her behind where she landed, and gestured to my bathroom with the other hand.

                “Just go get ready. It’s already 9:15 and Marcy is waiting downstairs,” she deadpanned, before walking out.

                I smirked, practically skipping into the bathroom. That’s right bitch, you don’t mess with me in the morning.

                As I brushed my teeth, I scrunched up my nose at my disheveled appearance. Definitely going to take more than five minutes to fix that.

                Hopping into the shower, I quickly scrubbed myself down before washing my hair. I hummed a Disney tune as I stepped out, a towel being wrapped neatly around my body.

                “The seaweed is always greener, in somebody else's lake,” I sang quietly as I grabbed my hairbrush.

                “You dream about going up there, but that is a big mistake.” I ran my brush through the scraggly strands of hair, watching as they transformed into straight strands of brown.

                “Just look at the world around you, right here on the ocean floor.” I waltzed out of the bathroom, dancing over to my dresser. I was definitely a Disney kid.

                “Such wonderful things surround you, what more is you lookin’ for?” I grabbed the necessities, slipping them on before throwing on a pair of skinny jeans.

                “Under the sea, under the sea! Darling it’s better, down where it’s wetter---“

                “EW! Riley what are you talking about?! And let’s go, I’m starving!” I was startled by furious pounding on my door, and Kody’s impatience seeping through the wood. Her words sunk in, and I found myself laughing.