26: Dinner Deets

Dominick Senior says grace and then everyone starts to plate their food to eat. They begin to pass around the bottle of wine I brought as well as a bottle of white. It quickly gets to me but I politely decline and offer it to Sonny, "you need it for our toast dear." His mother says to me as I try to give it over to Sonny.

"Ma, she doesn't need a glass of wine for a toast. She can toast with water." He defends me, pouring himself a glass of red.

"Who wants to toast with water? I mean, besides Bella." Theresa snickers back with an eye roll.

"Actually.." Sonny goes to spill the news already.

Gina and Bella both eye him and I quickly step on his foot to shut him up, "I'm driving us home."

"Safety first, that's right!" Dominic Senior supports my choice not to drink and drive and lifts his glass up to cheers, "to Sonny and Maddison! We wish you much happiness."

"To Sonny and Maddison." The others recite and I cheers my water with everyone else.

Sonny leans down and whispers, "now you can see why I never bring anyone home." He winks when he moves to sit back up straight and I do what I can to hide my laughter.

Gina and Theresa start to talk about Bella and her baby girl, listing off a bunch of names they think they should name her, "Tommy and I have already decided on a name." She responds, chewing some turkey.

"And you're not going to tell us?" Gina pouts back "come on, everyone knew about Mia!" She points to Theresa, referencing her teenage daughter.

Bella shakes her head, "why would I tell you? So you can ruin it with one of your stories. No thanks." She waves her hand as if saying she'll pass.

"Maddison, you always want to be a cop?" Mr. Carisi asks me in between one of his bites, changing the direction on conversation.

I answer back, "since I was a teenager. I knew I'd be somewhere in law enforcement." I answer back.

"But NYPD over the FBI?" Gina chimes in, shocked I'd make that choice.

"Gi" Sonny's eyes go wide as he stares at his sister.

"What?" She asks back, "isn't the FBI like, a step up from being a detective?"

"It's different. I like being in one place, not traveling from state to state on cases." I explain back.

"I guess that would make it hard on a relationship." His mom adds on, then sipping her wine.

I look to Sonny who looks to me at the same time and I know he's going to go for it, "it'd sure make it harder for a family."

"A family? Ha!" Theresa snorts out, sipping from her glass, "come on, you've been together for what? A day, and you're talking family. It ain't that easy, kids."

"Theresa Marie Carisi!" Donna uses her full name, "don't mock your brother. If he and his girlfriend want to talk family, then they should. There's nothing wrong with making plans."

"Sorry ma." She returns, putting her glass down, rolling her eyes while looking towards her brother.

I keep my eyes on my empty plate, worried now for him to tell them. Luckily, Bella chimes in, "don't worry about her Maddison, she's just jealous that she's single."

"Shut up." Theresa quips back.

"Alright, alright. Calm down." Sonny jumps in, "we wanted to tell you guys something." He takes my hand and intertwines our fingers. Everyone stares at him and I, waiting for him to spill it already. He takes a deep breathe and utters out, "Maddison and I are having twins."

It's not even silent for a second when a few of them are either standing with joy or sitting with confusion plastered across their face. His father is the first one over to give me a big hug, but I can't keep my eyes off his mother who is sitting shocked from the news. I can barely keep track of all the conversations going on but I get around to hugging everyone at the table except Mrs. Carisi. She ends up sneaking out of the room while everyone tries to ask us questions about the babies. I manage to somehow sneak away, excusing myself to the restroom. I find her sitting in the kitchen with her head down, holding a set of prayer beads "Mrs. Carisi?" I say just above a whisper, getting her attention.

"Hello Dear, would you like to pray with me?" She asks with a gentle smile.

"Uhm, yea. Sure." I say, not wanting to be rude and decline. I go over to where she is standing and she takes my hand.

She lowers her head to pray and I do the same, closing my eyes, "God, watch over the expectant mothers of the Carisi family as they await the birth of their children. Grant these 2 women confidence and strength to dispel their anxiety and fears. Bless them with the courage and faith of Mary, always listening to your will and trusting in your loving care. As they prepare to bring new life into the world, grace them with the good health and great joy. We look to you and your son, Jesus Christ, as a sign of mercy and joy. Amen."

"Thank you" I whisper out after saying amen.

She looks up to me, a small smile on her face, "I've been saying that prayer every night for Bella, I'll say it every night for you too now."

I smile softly in return, letting go of the inside of my cheek I was biting, "you uhh, you skipped out of their pretty quickly."

"It wasn't news we would ever expect to hear from our boy. Out of the blue like that." She admits to me.

I question, "he never uhh, wanted kids?" I ask, knowing that he married his ex because they thought they were pregnant, I for sure thought he'd tell his family that.

She smiles, "no, not that. Sonny used to want to be a priest. We always thought when he did have kids, he'd be married."

"Oh" I say back to her, guilt starting to seep into me, "well, if it makes you feel any better he did say he was going to do this right." I shrug, knowing exactly what that meant when he said it, but wanting his mom to fill in the blanks.

"It's alright dear. It's a new world we live in. I'm very happy for you." She finally comes over to me and gives me a small hug.

A Course of PassionOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara