14- Mama

"Jasper?" Ever asked, drinking some of her lemonade. I looked up from the menu and gestured for her to continue. "Can you live with us?"

Elliot started coughing like crazy. I rubbed his back and handed him my glass of water. "Thank you," He croaked out once his coughing fit was over. 

"Jasper!" Ever waved her hand in my face. 

"Ever, manners," Elliot reminded her. 

"Sorry," She looked down. Then she looked back at me and asked again. "When can you move in with us?"

I exchanged looks with Elliot. He averted his gaze back to the menu in front of him. 

"Ever, why don't you tell Jasper about Flash," Elliot diverted the topic. 

"Ooo! Flash is the best dog ever!" Ever gushed. "Dad told me that someone really special named Flash."

"Hi, are you guys ready to order?" The waiter asked. 

"Yeah, I would like a hamburger and fries." Elliot told him. 

The waiter wrote it down and turned to me. "And what can I get you?"

"Tomato soup and grilled cheese." I answered. The waiter turned to Ever and asked her what she wants to order.

"Green eggs and ham, please." She answered after looking at her kids menu. The waiter walked away to get our food.

"Green eggs and ham?" Elliot sounded confused. 

"Dr. Seuss," I told him. He stared at me with a blank look. I let out a gasp. "You've never read Green eggs and ham?!"

"No..." He trailed off. 

"Ever we need to read it to him, tonight!" I told the giggling 7 year old. 

"Here you go," The waiter set our food on the table and left us alone. 

"Here, Dad." Ever scooped some eggs using her fork and held it out. "Try some."

Elliot took the fork from her and put it in his mouth. Ever and I watched as he chewed and swallowed the food. 

"Well?" I asked him. 

"It's eggs with green food co—" Elliot said but got interrupted by me elbowing him in the side. 

"Don't you dare ruin it for her," I hissed. 

"Ruin what?" Ever asked looking up from her plate. 

"Nothing," Elliot and I chorused. 

•~•~•   

"And they lived happily ever after." I closed the book. "The end."

"No, it's just the beginning," Elliot said entering the room. I turned and gave him a unamused look. "I thought it was funny," He defended himself and set down the tray. 

"Why are you acting so weird, today?" Ever asked. 

Elliot handed her a cup of hot chocolate before answering. "I have an adorable little girl and a not so adorable older girl next to me."

"Aww," I cooed before stopping. "Wait, what?"

Elliot waved me off and handed me another book. "Read it."

"Manners!" Ever reminded her dad. 

"Sorry," He said to Ever and turned to me. "Please read it."

I gave him a flat look and opened up the book. "Once upon a time..." I finished reading the book to Ever and carried her to her bed. "Good night," I whispered and kissed her head.

"Night, Mama," She replied and drifted off into a deep sleep. 

My breath caught in my throat. I stood frozen next to the bed and stared at her. 

"Are you okay?" Elliot asked coming behind me. I didn't respond and exited the room. Once I got downstairs and to the kitchen, I stared at the table with a blank expression. 

"Jasper what's wrong?" Elliot asked setting the empty cups in the sink. 

"She called me Mama," I whispered. 

"What's the big deal?" 

"She called me Mama, she wants to know when we're going to get married, and when I'm going to move in with you guys." I lowered my voice and pressed my hands against my cheeks. "She thinks we're still a couple, Elliot. I don't want to crush her."

"Aw, Jasp," He started and hugged me tight. 

"I think I should go home," I told him once he let go of me. 

"No." He shook his head and looked me in the eye. "Move in with us, Jasper."

•••  

We're almost to 1K reads!!!!

Thanks for reading :)

Comment, Vote

Love y'all ♥♥♥