Chapter 21

Chapter 21 - Edited by Grammar_Nazi

“Ashley, Ashley, honey are you ok?” I heard my mother’s concerned voice, her hands caressing my face softly.

I touched my aching head and looked at her confused, “What happened?”

“You fainted, Hun,” she said, “I should be the one asking you what happened.”

Then everything came slowly back to me and left me shattered. After I remembered the reason I fainted, I couldn’t help my eyes from leaking. I can’t believe that I’m actually not Nick’s wife. How could that be? Wasn’t Amy the one who told us that she was my witness for the ceremony? If I’m not married why were we wearing her wedding rings?

Mum saw me crying and immediately pulled me into a tight hug, “It can’t be that bad, can it?” she concernedly asked, “What’s going on?”

I just don’t how to tell her and I continued to cry and sobbed on her shoulders. Why does my world fall apart every time I think that everything is perfect in my life? First, I was leading an amazing perfect single life only to get drunk and marry. Now when I am completely in terms with the new circumstances, I find out that all my efforts were for a non-existent relationship. Just when I started to have feelings for Nick as my husband suddenly he’s not. Damn, did God hate me so much that he wanted to ruin everything that was perfect to me?

Why is this happening to me and how could such thing have happened? The only person who could answer all the questions is Amy and I’m going to get some answers from her.

I immediately wiped my eyes with the back of my hand and told my mother, “I need to see Amy.”

“Don’t worry, she’s coming here,” my mother informed me, “I’ve told her you fainted and she’s coming but she didn’t tell me what made you faint. Anyway you shouldn’t drive in this condition.  Come,” she pulled me up from the floor, “Lay down here and I’ll get some warm milk for you,” she instructed and I just nodded my head along.

Amy came in few minutes later and her face was pale like a corpse. She immediately rushed towards me and when she tried to pull me into a hug, I pushed her hands away.

“Don’t touch me!” I gritted my teeth, “How can you call yourself my best friend and do all these things to me? How could you do this to me?”

She looked at me with teary eyes, “I’m so very sorry Ash. I was only trying to bring you and Nick together. You guys are perfect for each other.”

“And you do this stupid thing?” I scolded her, “And how……” I swallowed my words halfway when I realized that mother was standing in the same room. She’s looking at both of us worriedly.

“I think we better go and talk somewhere else,” I said and pulled Amy along with me. I didn’t want my mother to listen to our conversation.

“Where you going, Hun?” my mother asked worriedly, “Nick is on his way back here.”

“Tell him to meet me at home,” I said to her. “I’ll call you tonight,” and with that both of us were out the door while Amy cast a sad look at my mother.

We took Amy’s car and we drove back in silence. She tried to talk to me but I told her to concentrate on her driving. I don’t want any of us to have an accident just because I couldn’t control my anger.

Once we reached my apartment, I immediately started yelling at her, “How could you? How could you do such a thing? How am I going to tell our parents that we both are actually not married? How could you lie to me about this? God, what were you thinking?”