The Journey to Hogwarts

When Harry turned around to ask Hagrid about Platform 9 ¾, because surely there was no such thing, the giant man had disappeared, leaving Harry alone amidst bustling strangers. A flash of panic burst through Harry's chest. Perhaps this really was a prank the Dursleys were playing. Harry shook his head at himself, he knew better than anyone the Dursleys had no sense of humor, well, not one that Harry understood. He didn't consider being locked under the stairs very funny, not in the least. Just as Harry considered going back outside, he caught sight of a large family of redheads, all pushing carts with trunks much like his own. Just as they were passing, Harry heard the oldest woman call out "Just this way, platform 9 ¾!" so he pushed his cart after them, intent on keeping up without interrupting.

The large family stopped in front of the wall between platforms 9 and 10, and, when they were sure no Muggles were watching, quickly slipped through the seemingly solid wall before Harry's eyes. Blinking in shock, he stared at the wall for a few moments before approaching. Placing his hand where the family had just been standing, he was surprised when his hand did not go through at first. Scared, he pushed harder before, finally, the wall gave way under his hand and Harry was stumbling onto an equally busy platform on the other side. Blinking in much the same way as his new owl Hedwig was, Harry took in the sight before him.

Hundreds, if not thousands, of witches and wizards crowded the platform. Students were saying their goodbyes to their families, younger siblings crying about not being allowed to go along, while parents managed to squeeze in last minute instructions and well wishes. Different colored robes mixed together, confusing Harry. He thought back on his trip to Diagon Alley with Hagrid. He had met a pale boy who had mentioned something about different Houses or something of the sort, perhaps they were color coded. Harry brushed the thought from his mind as he made his way towards the train. A girl with wildly bushy hair nearly fell into him as she jumped about gleefully near what he presumed her parents, and he felt a twinge of jealousy that he could not be wished off by a loving parent of his own. Harry avoided the large family he had followed onto the platform, though he sent them a silent thank you for showing him the way. They were quite loud, two boys who looked like twins were being chased by an older looking boy with their mother yelling at them all. Harry felt his chest clench at the scene. He would love to have a family, but one a bit quieter would do him just fine, they were bringing a lot of attention on themselves.

When Harry tried to haul his trunk up on the train, he was stopped by two older students, who quickly loaded his trunk on the train for him.

"It's nice to meet you! I'm your head boy this year," the boy smiled at Harry, who found himself smiling back shyly, "My name is Jacob McFarely, and this is the Head Girl, Kendra Green!" Kendra turned from where she was talking to another first year and smiled and waved at Harry. Harry shuffled his shoes, knowing it would be polite to introduce himself but not wanting to create a scene like the one from The Leakey Cauldron. He managed to squeak out, "My name is Harry Potter," to which the Head Boy's eyes widened in surprise, but instead of the excited handshaking Harry had expected, Jacob simply clapped Harry on the back.

"Well, Harry, welcome to the Hogwarts' Express. We're glad to have you at Hogwarts, if you ever need anything, just come find me or Kendra, we'll take care of you!" Harry smiled gratefully up at Jacob, who pointed him down the corridor of the train, "You'll find some empty compartments towards the end of the train, and they may or may not have a few first years like yourself in them, why don't you go find some?" Harry nodded mutely before making his way down the train, making sure he had his bag for his uniform with him. Keeping his hair smoothed over his scar, he opened a door to a compartment that had a bunch of older students who stopped talking to stare at him. Quickly shutting the door, he made his way further down the train. Nearly at the end, he opened another door, this time to find the same bushy haired girl from early talking excitedly with a boy who looked as though he were about to be sick.