Christmas with the Malfoys

Harry was so excited that he had accidentally levitated his curtains, duvet and the bedside table before successfully levitating his trunk. He had donned his heavy traveling cloak and scarf before taking them off, then back on... then back off. It wasn't until the morning bell tolled for breakfast that Harry was finally startled out of his dorm. Rushing up to the Great Hall Harry couldn't stop his grin despite his cheeks hurting. He waved merrily at the different ghosts, even going so far as to wish the Bloody Barron a Happy Christmas.

When he arrived Snape was already at the table in the middle of the room, sipping slowly from a rather garish Christmas mug. Grinning impossibly wide, Harry waved at him and got a raised eyebrow in return. Professor McGonagall sat beside him drinking from a similarly ugly mug, and Harry suddenly got the impression that the two of them were much closer than what meets the eye. The realization hit him then that Professor McGonagall was much older than Snape, maybe enough so that she had been his teacher. May have been his parents' teacher. He would have to ask Snape later. Taking his seat, Harry settled in for what felt like the longest breakfast ever.

Harry thought maybe it was just his excitement for holidays with the Malfoys, but when Harry snuck a glance at Snape the irritation was written clearly across his face. Harry realized then that every time the conversation lagged like breakfast was going to end, Dumbledore found a new topic. Snape allowed this to continue on for nearly a half an hour more before he abruptly stood from his chair, cutting off Dumbledore's discussion about the best knitting needles (bamboo of course.)

"I am deeply sorry, sir, but I am afraid that not all of us can sit around swapping yule time stories and have a timetable to keep. Potter and I will be taking our leave. Now." With that Snape grabbed Harry's chair, scooting it out manually himself and when Harry hopped up and when Snape let go, the chair snapped quickly back to the table, almost as though it had been straining against Snape's hold. Thinking back on the strange pressure on Harry's chest in Dumbledore's office, perhaps it was. Why didn't the headmaster want Harry to leave the school?

Harry wished his professors and classmates a merry Christmas before rushing to catch up with Snape who had already levitated Harry's luggage. He was making his way towards the large fireplace in the front hall near the Grand Staircase, and Harry struggled to put on his cloak and scarf at his quick pace. Harry huffed his thanks when Snape stopped in front of the fire place, taking the chance to secure his hat that Hermione had made him over his ears. Once he was ready and Snape had pulled his own cloak around himself. Harry could see the beginnings of glimmering magic building up around Snape as soon as they stepped out of the front doors. With each step Snape seemed to get angrier and angrier. They had reached the gates to the road leading to Hogsmead by the time Snape had finally stopped walking.

"Pushing back the apparition point will not stop this trip," Harry could hear Snape mutter under his breath.

"Alright, Potter, hold your luggage tightly and take a deep breath in," Harry did not so much as blink as he felt a terrible twisting sensation behind his bellybutton, like Aunt Petunia's vacuum hose extension was trying to pull it out backwards through his spine. As suddenly as it started it ended, lurching Harry forward with the dizziness of it. It took him a few seconds to get his bearings and convince his stomach not to make an appearance on his shoes that Narcissa had bought him. When he straightened up a small vial was pressed into his hand. An anti-nausea potion, just big enough to hopefully take the edge off of the rolling ocean in his abdomen. When he handed back the bottle, he finally took in the sight in front of him and was glad Snape had caught the bottle otherwise it would have shattered in his surprise. Before him sprawled a massive grey stone mansion-no, almost a castle.

"Welcome to Malfoy Manor, Mister Potter, I am sure you will find your stay here during the remainder of the holidays most comfortable." Harry could hear the eye roll in his professor's tone but he was too busy staring at the snow white peacocks elegantly strutting across the lawn. The gates swung open when Snape presented his wand, and Harry felt a rush of magic wash over him. Looking up, he watched as a shimming veil that surrounded the property like a dome split open at the gate as Snape walked through. Not wanting to be left behind, Harry jogged to catch up.