Return to Hogwarts

Chapter Text
The two weeks Harry spent with the Malfoy's were more wonderful than he could have ever hoped for. Professor Snape had returned to Hogwarts the day after Christmas, just as Draco had said he would, but Harry had remained with his best friend. Harry quickly got used to waking up and going to sleep with a kiss on his forehead from Mrs. Malfoy and the occasional tight smile from Mr. Malfoy- but only when Harry said or did something particularly good. Harry noticed this was the theme with Draco as well, and found himself beaming with pride when Lucius deemed him worthy of even such a small praise.

One thing that Harry hadn't been able to get used to however was the Malfoy's' house elf, Dobby. The strange little creature was often found staring at Harry around corners or behind furniture until the Malfoy's' caught him and sent him away, causing the elf to disappear with a crack. Draco waved off Harry's confusion.

"He's my father's servant, he's been in our family as long as I can remember. Lots of other wizards have house elves, even Hogwarts has them." Harry hadn't been exactly been comforted by the idea of these little elves doing his laundry and cooking his food at school, but Harry left it alone for now.

Harry was surprised one morning when Narcissa walked into the dinning room in a silver dress gown and curlers in her hair. Even on Christmas in her pajamas matching Draco and Lucius's, her hair had been neat and tidy. She sat primly next to the head of the table where Lucius usually sat. An owl hooted softly in the kitchen next door, and the newspaper popped onto the table next to her coffee. She had not said a word to either boy yet, and after a long sip of coffee she sighed with content.

"Draco, Harry, darlings, how do you feel about going to Diagon Alley with me today? You return to school next week, and I would like to look at getting your trousers re-fitted," She didn't look at the two, but rather put on her silver glasses and began reading the paper.

"Yes, mother, we would be happy to, thank you." Harry was confused, why was this morning so awkward? Draco did not sound very happy, in fact he looked like he was mentally preparing himself to go to war. Draco caught Harry's eye and shook his head, and he took it as Draco would explain upstairs.

"Very good, darling, we shall leave in half an hour. If you boys are done eating, you may go get ready and meet me in the sitting room." Draco's chair scraped on the dinning room floor, and Harry hurried to follow him, grabbing one last piece of toast. The Malfoy's had insisted that Harry simply had to ask Dobby for something to eat whenever he liked, but Harry felt shy asking for extra food, so he made sure he got his fill whenever food was provided instead. Once up the stairs Draco kicked his foot against nothing, and stuck his chin out.

"They've done it again, and now Mother is going to take us shopping to get back at father," Draco groaned.

"What have they done?" Harry shifted uncomfortably.

"They've had a disagreement of some kind. Every time my parents argue, father runs to the ministry and mother to the nearest store! She'll drop an outrageous amount of money and father will be forced to apologize to save his fortune! I'm never allowed to go with father so I always go with mother." Harry felt a a curl of anxiety twist through his stomach. Narcissa and Lucius argue? Harry hadn't seen anything but propriety and grace out of the two adults. They were opposites in every way from his aunt and uncle, to hear that they had arguments suddenly made Harry feel very exposed in the open corridor. At least with his aunt and uncle, he had a small place to hide when their voices started raising.

8:30 found them standing at the fireplace with an elegantly dressed Narcissa. Her dark ruby gown with a gold chain sash around her waist reminded Harry of the Gryffindor house colors, but looked as remarkable on her as everything else. Harry was wearing the green sweater and brown shoes she had given him during school and his new winter gear. The warm cloak felt like a hug, and Harry couldn't help but stroke the tiny snake broach Mrs. Malfoy had pinned on it. Draco had a similar outfit on as Harry, but in black. Hermione's blue and green knitted toboggan sat crooked on his head until his mother straightened it.