Chapter 21 - "People fail you."

Start from the beginning

"What could you possibly know about any of this?" she said.

Donovan gave a shrug. The gesture seemed to taunt Carter.

"You pretend to be fine. You're not," he said.

Carter's scowl morphed into an glare, confirming Donovan's words.

"You don't understand what is going on," she said.

"Maybe not."

Carter pushed herself off the wall and strode past Donovan. He halted her with a hand on her arm.

"You have friends," he said.

She met his gaze for a moment, his look was steady and open. Turning away she yanked her arm free and stalked off.

****************

Whitish gray clouds crowded out the sun, as Carter stepped off the bus. Once again she found her mind playing a loop of Donovan's words. The chaos of muffled voices reached her before the deli came into view. Light beamed from the windows. Carter pushed through the doors and the incoherent conversations took became clear.

The noise was a mixture of scolding from parents as they tamed their children and camaraderie as groups shared their memories with each other. Carter surveyed the scene before turning to the counter.

Maggie hustled back and forth, pieces of her brown hair floated before her face, unnoticed. Her employees wore the same focused expression, their movements a dance, in sync with each other as they filled orders. Carter fell in line behind a mother and her son. After a minute and an order taken, she stepped up to the counter.

"Oh, hi, hun," Maggie looked up, distracted.

"It's so busy," Carter said.

Maggie nodded as she looked around the crowded room.

"Yeah, today more than most, but it's not uncommon for this time. How come you are so late?" she asked, puzzled. "It's almost six."

Carter shrugged and stuffed her hands into her pockets.

"I walked for a while. Lost track of time," she said.

Maggie frowned in concern.

"You never lose track of time."

Carter opened her mouth to respond, but the bell over the door dinged and a large group entered.

"I'm sorry, hun, but I can't talk now. Steve already picked up sandwiches. I might see you later tonight but don't count on it."

Outside, the night felt colder as Carter's mind remained burdened. She left the deli behind and crossed the street, heading into the alley. Her footsteps on the staircase rang out in the evening as she jogged up. The door was unlocked and she stepped into the warmth of the apartment.

Her father sat at the table, a computer and a neat stack of papers sat before him.

"Hi Sarge, how was school?"

Carter pulled off her satchel and was about to dump it on top of the coffee table when she froze. Her eyes snapped to her father.

"She was here today," Carter said.

The smell of citrus lingered in the air, too fresh to be from the previous night.

"Yes," her father said.

The hollowness that had been enveloping Carter was burned away by a hot flash of anger.

"Why?" she said. "Why are you doing this? Why did you let her come back here?"